Maximizing Vertical Height in Frictionless Rolling Motion on an Incline

In summary, a hollow sphere of mass M and radius R is released from rest at height h and rolls down a curved surface without slipping until it reaches the lowest point, O. The curve to the right of O is frictionless. If the sphere continues past point O, it will reach the same vertical height due to conservation of energy. This can be represented by the equation mgh = 1/2 M W2 + 1/2MV2, where Kr represents the rotational kinetic energy.
John Kolby

Homework Statement

A hollow sphere of mass M and radius R (I = 2MR2 /3) is released from rest at height h and rolls down a curved surface without slipping until it reaches the lowest point, O..

The curve to the right of O is frictionless. If the sphere continues past point O, what vertical height will it reach?
(In the diagram, the curve looks like a semi circle)

Homework Equations

KEr = 1/2 M W2
KEl = 1/2MV2

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my knowledge, if its frictionless and energy is conserved it should reach the same high.

mgh = 1/2 M W2 + 1/2MV2
**If I did something wrong I apologize, first time on this forum

Physics news on Phys.org
John Kolby said:

Homework Statement

A hollow sphere of mass M and radius R (I = 2MR2 /3) is released from rest at height h and rolls down a curved surface without slipping until it reaches the lowest point, O..

The curve to the right of O is frictionless. If the sphere continues past point O, what vertical height will it reach?
(In the diagram, the curve looks like a semi circle)

Homework Equations

KEr = 1/2 M W2
KEl = 1/2MV2

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my knowledge, if its frictionless and energy is conserved it should reach the same high.

mgh = 1/2 M W2 + 1/2MV2

**If I did something wrong I apologize, first time on this forum
Hello John Kolby. Welcome to PF !

Does the rotation of the sphere change once it gets to the frictionless part of the curve?

Does its rotation correspond to some amount of kinetic energy?

SammyS said:
Does the rotation of the sphere change once it gets to the frictionless part of the curve?

Does its rotation correspond to some amount of kinetic energy?
I don't think the rotation changes. The rotation accounts to Kr which I account for with 1/2MW2

Solved it thank you!

Related to Maximizing Vertical Height in Frictionless Rolling Motion on an Incline

1. What is rolling motion up an incline?

Rolling motion up an incline refers to the movement of a rolling object, such as a ball or wheel, as it travels up an inclined plane or ramp. It is a combination of rolling and translational motion.

2. How is rolling motion different from sliding motion?

Rolling motion involves the rotation of an object as it moves, while sliding motion does not involve any rotation. In rolling motion, the object maintains contact with the surface it is rolling on, while in sliding motion, there is no contact between the object and the surface.

3. What factors affect the speed of rolling motion up an incline?

The speed of rolling motion up an incline is affected by the angle of the incline, the mass and size of the rolling object, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of a rolling object?

The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity acting on the rolling object, resulting in a faster acceleration. However, as the angle of the incline increases, the force of friction also increases, which can slow down the object's motion.

5. Can rolling motion up an incline be used to calculate the acceleration of an object?

Yes, rolling motion up an incline can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object using the equation a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.