Creating a Contraption to Protect a Raw Egg from Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of creating a contraption that can protect a raw egg from breaking after being dropped from 3 stories. The device must fit through a 1 square foot rectangle and cannot use packaging materials or food items. Some ideas suggested include using a small cardboard box filled with cotton balls and a plastic bag with a parachute attached, and ensuring the height of the box is 1 to meet the surface area requirement.
ccb056
Physics Project :D

okays, for physics I've got to devise a contraption which will protect a raw egg from ing while dropping 3 stories.

the devices must fit through a 1sqr foot rectangle, it does not have any maximum height, it cannot use packaging material or food/peanut butter/jello/gell

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Get a small cardboard box
2. Put lots of cottonballs in box
3. Put egg in plastic bag and tie well
4. Attach parachute type device to box
5. Put egg/plastic bag into box
6. Seal with duct tape
7 Test.

Originally posted by ccb056
okays, for physics I've got to devise a contraption which will protect a raw egg from ing while dropping 3 stories.

the devices must fit through a 1sqr foot rectangle, it does not have any maximum height, it cannot use packaging material or food/peanut butter/jello/gell

any ideas?

assuming one side is double of the adjacent sides, say one side is a, and the adjacent side is 2a, your maximum... or minimum height for the box must be 1 in order for your surface area to be 1.

1. How can I protect a raw egg from impact?

One way to protect a raw egg from impact is to create a cushioning system around it. This can be achieved by using materials such as foam, cotton, or bubble wrap to absorb the impact and prevent the egg from breaking.

2. What type of container should I use to protect the raw egg?

The container you use should be sturdy enough to withstand impact, but also light enough to not add too much weight to the overall contraption. A plastic or cardboard box could work well, or you could even use a paper cup with cushioning materials inside.

3. Is there a certain design that works best for protecting a raw egg?

There is no one specific design that works best for protecting a raw egg. It ultimately depends on the materials you have available and your creativity. However, a common design is to create a cushioned nest for the egg inside a container, and then surround the container with additional cushioning materials.

4. How can I test the effectiveness of my contraption?

The best way to test the effectiveness of your contraption is to drop it from a predetermined height and see if the egg remains intact. You can also try dropping it from different angles or increasing the height to see if your contraption can withstand greater impact.

5. Can I reuse my contraption to protect multiple raw eggs?

Yes, you can reuse your contraption to protect multiple raw eggs as long as the materials are still in good condition. However, it's always a good idea to double check the cushioning materials and make any necessary adjustments before using it again.