Basic physics questions- any help appreciated

In summary, the person is new to the forum and is seeking help with some lower level physics problems. The problems involve calculating the change in length of a steel pipeline, the heat absorbed by methanol, the heat energy liberated by steam, the change in density of mercury, and the mass of a crate being lifted by a hydraulic lift. The person also asks for help with their calculations and whether thermal expansion coefficients are needed.
FestiveF
Hi all! I am new to the forum and I have a few lower level physics problem with which I am confused. Any help and explanations will be immensely appreciated!

1) A steel pipeline is 1500 m long and is at a temperature of 30 degrees Celcius. How much shorter will it be if the temperature falls to 10 degrees Celcius?
*I got .36 m...

2) How much heat is absorbed by 255 g of methanol when it is heated from 10 degrees Celcius to 60 degrees Celcius?
*I got 3.12 x 10^4 J...

3) Calculate the number of kJ of heat energy liberated by 4 kg of steam at 100 degrees when it is condensed, cooled, and changed to ice at 0 degrees.
* I got 1.2 x 10^4 kJ...

4) If the density of mercury is 13.59 x 10^3 kg/m^3 at 20 degrees Celcius, what will its density be at 65 degrees Celcius?

5) In a certain hydraulic lift, the small piston has a radius of 15 cm. The large piston has a radius of 26 cm. A force of 225 N is applied to the small piston. What is the mass of the crate that is being lifted by the application of this 225 N force?

Thank you SO much ahead of time ~

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Festive, welcome to the forums!

Can you post your calculations, so we can see where you're getting stuck?

Don't you need some thermal expansion coefficents of something?

What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and the interactions between them.

What are the fundamental principles of physics?

The fundamental principles of physics include the laws of motion, conservation of energy, and the laws of thermodynamics.

What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of the physical laws and principles that govern non-quantum systems, while modern physics deals with the laws and principles of quantum mechanics and relativity.

How does physics apply to everyday life?

Physics is involved in many aspects of everyday life, from the way objects move to the functioning of technology and machines. It helps explain the natural phenomena we encounter and allows us to develop new technologies and inventions.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include that it is only for geniuses, that it is all about complicated math, and that it has no practical applications. In reality, physics can be understood by anyone, involves both mathematical and conceptual thinking, and has countless real-world applications.