Maximizing the amount of water displaced by a sphere inserted in a cone

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal diameter of a sphere to insert into a conic cope filled with water in order to maximize the spilling of liquid when the sphere rests on the cope's walls. The formula for the volume of a spherical cap is used, and the conversation includes a discussion on finding the constraint and using the formula for the distance between a point and a line. The final solution is left to be derived.
leprofece
choose the diameter of a sphere so that when it is inserted into a cope of form conic (depth H and RADIUS R) fill of water, spilling as much as possible of liquid when the sphere rests is on the walls of cope. ( volume of a segment spherical of radius "r" y height "h' es: V = pih2{r- ( h ))

Answer
r= HRL/(L-R)(L+2R)

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: max and min 276

I would draw a diagram as follows:

View attachment 2005

From this you can get the constraint. For the objective function, we need the volume of a spherical cap:

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{\pi h}{6}\left(3a^2+h^2 \right)\)

$a$ will be the positive $x$-intercept of the circle and $h=r+k$.

Can you proceed?

Attachments

• leprofece4.jpg
    leprofece4.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 57

MarkFL said:
I would draw a diagram as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2005

From this you can get the constraint. For the objective function, we need the volume of a spherical cap:

$a$ will be the positive $x$-intercept of the circle and $h=r+k$.

Can you proceed?

it may be
V= pi(r-k)/6(3a2+(r-k)2)
i must derive may I Derive now?

leprofece said:
it may be
V= pi(r-k)/6(3a2+(r-k)2)
i must derive may I Derive now?

No...$h=r+k$, you need to find $a$ as I described (the positive $x$-intercept of the circle), and you need to find the constraint. The most straightforward way I can think of is to use the fact that a radius of the circle drawn to the point of tangency of the line segment from $(0,H)$ to $(R,0)$ is perpendicular to this segment, and so the formula for the perpendicular or shortest distance between a point and a ine may be used to obtain the value of $k$ in terms of $R$, $H$ and $r$. Another method which yields the same result, but requires more algebra is to equate the equation of the line to the circle and require the discriminant of the resulting quadratic to be zero.

The formula for the distance $d$ between a point $\left(x_0,y_0 \right)$ and a line $y=mx+b$ is:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{\left|mx_0+b-y_0 \right|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

We know in this case that $d=r$. Can you identify $m$ and $b$?

MarkFL said:
No...$h=r+k$, you need to find $a$ as I described (the positive $x$-intercept of the circle), and you need to find the constraint. The most straightforward way I can think of is to use the fact that a radius of the circle drawn to the point of tangency of the line segment from $(0,H)$ to $(R,0)$ is perpendicular to this segment, and so the formula for the perpendicular or shortest distance between a point and a ine may be used to obtain the value of $k$ in terms of $R$, $H$ and $r$. Another method which yields the same result, but requires more algebra is to equate the equation of the line to the circle and require the discriminant of the resulting quadratic to be zero.

The formula for the distance $d$ between a point $\left(x_0,y_0 \right)$ and a line $y=mx+b$ is:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{\left|mx_0+b-y_0 \right|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

We know in this case that $d=r$. Can you identify $m$ and $b$?

Lets see
If the points are (0,H) y (R,0)
m must be -H/R
Now y = -Hx/R +HR/R so b = H
I don't know if L is K in your solution
Introducing in your formula
r = - -Hx/R +H/(sqrt) ( - (-H/R)^2 +1)
But I don't proceed because in the book answer it is L
There must be something wrong in my solution

I would assume your book is labeling:

\(\displaystyle L=\sqrt{R^2+H^2}\)

MarkFL said:
I would assume your book is labeling:

\(\displaystyle L=\sqrt{R^2+H^2}\)

I don't know if my calculation was good
Because I don't know how to pul this \(\displaystyle L=\sqrt{R^2+H^2}\)[/QUOTE]
in my given solving . ?'

You need to determine $k$. Use the formula I gave for the distance between a point and a line where:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_0,y_0 \right)=(0,k)\)

\(\displaystyle m=-\frac{H}{R}\)

\(\displaystyle b=H\)

\(\displaystyle d=r\)

Do you see why this applies?

MarkFL said:
You need to determine $k$. Use the formula I gave for the distance between a point and a line where:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_0,y_0 \right)=(0,k)\)

\(\displaystyle m=-\frac{H}{R}\)

\(\displaystyle b=H\)

\(\displaystyle d=r\)

Do you see why this applies?

The formula for the distance d between a point (x0,y0) and a line y=mx+b is:

d=∣∣mx0+b−y0∣∣m2+1−−−−−−√

We know in this case that d=r. Can you identify m and b?

so r= d = -H/R+H-k/(sqrt(h^2+r^2)/(R^2))

r= -H/R+H-k/((L)/(R))

So k = Lr+H/R-H/R

K = HR-Hx-rL/R

K=H-r

if I equalled and solved for r and i got nothing HR-Hx-rL/R = H-r

And now what must I do??
Derive that??)

Last edited:

No, what you want to do is:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{\left|-\frac{H}{R}\cdot0+H-k \right|}{\sqrt{\left(-\frac{H}{R} \right)^2+1}}\)

Now solve this for $k$ (observe that $H>k$) and substitute into the objective function. And you STILL need to find the positive $x$-intercept of the circle to use for $a$. Recall, your objective function is:

and $h=r+k$. This is why you need $k$ and $a$.

MarkFL said:
No, what you want to do is:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{\left|-\frac{H}{R}\cdot0+H-k \right|}{\sqrt{\left(-\frac{H}{R} \right)^2+1}}\)

Now solve this for $k$ (observe that $H>k$) and substitute into the objective function. And you STILL need to find the positive $x$-intercept of the circle to use for $a$. Recall, your objective function is:

and $h=r+k$. This is why you need $k$ and $a$.

con x = 0
Then i got K = HR-Lr/R

and a2 = 2V/piH- H2/3

then??

If you mean:

k = (HR - Lr)/R

then that is correct. However, $a$ is the positive $x$-intercept of the circle:

\(\displaystyle x^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a=\sqrt{r^2-k^2}\)

Now, put the value of $k$ in there...and try to simplify.

Now, after you do this, what do you suppose you should do with these values?

MarkFL said:
If you mean:

k = (HR - Lr)/R

then that is correct. However, $a$ is the positive $x$-intercept of the circle:

\(\displaystyle x^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle a=\sqrt{r^2-k^2}\)

Now, put the value of $k$ in there...and try to simplify.

Now, after you do this, what do you suppose you should do with these values?

2V/piH- H2/3 =r2-k2

2V/piH- H2/3 =r2-(HR-Lr)2/R2

2V/piH- H2/3 =r2 - ( HR)2-2HRLr+(Lr)2/R2

Related to Maximizing the amount of water displaced by a sphere inserted in a cone

1. How does the size of the cone affect the amount of water displaced by the sphere?

The size of the cone does not have a direct effect on the amount of water displaced by the sphere. However, the height and radius of the cone will determine the volume of the cone, which can impact the amount of water displaced by the sphere. A larger cone may have a larger volume, allowing for more water to be displaced.

2. Does the material of the sphere affect the amount of water displaced?

The material of the sphere does not have a significant impact on the amount of water displaced. As long as the sphere is of the same size and shape, the amount of water displaced will remain constant. However, a heavier sphere may displace more water due to its weight.

3. Can the angle of the cone affect the amount of water displaced by the sphere?

Yes, the angle of the cone can impact the amount of water displaced by the sphere. A steeper cone may have a smaller volume, resulting in less water being displaced. On the other hand, a wider cone may have a larger volume, allowing for more water to be displaced.

4. How does the placement of the sphere within the cone affect the amount of water displaced?

The placement of the sphere within the cone does not have a significant impact on the amount of water displaced. As long as the sphere is fully submerged in the water and is at the center of the cone, the amount of water displaced will remain the same.

5. Is there a maximum amount of water that can be displaced by a sphere inserted in a cone?

Yes, there is a maximum amount of water that can be displaced by a sphere inserted in a cone. This maximum amount is equal to the volume of the cone. No matter the size of the sphere, it cannot displace more water than the volume of the cone it is inserted in.