Maximizing Grad School Chances with Cosmology Focus

In summary, the individual is a recent physics graduate with a mediocre GPA who is interested in studying cosmology. They are planning to take the PGRE next fall and are currently working in a different field, but are concerned about not having research experience in cosmology before applying to graduate school. They are considering taking courses in cosmology while pursuing a practical field for their PhD. The conversation also includes personal opinions and advice on the matter.
ThereIam
Hi all,

I think this is probably the only decent question I've come up with about how to handle my future.

I really, really want to study cosmology.

I am a recent graduate (graduated in May) with a BA in physics. My GPA is mediocre - 3.5 in the major and overall. I'm sort of banking on (stupid, I know) killing the PGRE to shine. Or at least not bombing it. I will take it next fall (I have already begun studying).

My only research experience is the work I do now - I work in R&D for a company where most of my work pertains to optics and materials science. I committed to be here until late summer of next year, and I will not break my word. I will be applying to schools in the next fall.

I am intimidated by the perception that there isn't actually a lot of work to be had for those interested in cosmology (not after my graduate degree - I accept that, and it doesn't change what I want to study - I mean work I could get right now). I wonder if I am hurting myself by not actively pursuing work closer to my goals before applying to graduate school. I want to demonstrate my interest, but I don't know how!

What am I to do??

Any advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

This seems a very unique situation, and I can only make a guess at an opinion (phrased as some questions even). But why not use your optics & mat sci experiences to get into a physics grad program that has both these "more practical" fields of study as well as the cosmology you want to learn for yourself? Would you be happy enough to learn cosmology at the graduate level, perhaps doing some independent studies (intro research) with some cosmology profs, while your dissertation was in your more practical field?

My program has a breadth requirement, and so a course in GR was one of my "breadths". I don't have a lot of free time in my research, but I do have enough time to take an "interest" course if I want. (At my school you are free to take any course offered at the university, but you need to check each school for this privilege. Some of our grads study French, others astronomy, optics, finance, whatever.)

In your practical field, you will most likely be on RA, and that would give you the advantage to study something else on the side (though that would make your PhD take longer). There is always a trade off, but maybe there is a way to have your cake and eat it too. You should check on the "rigidity" of the program before you apply, though.

I have always personally found it difficult to choose between the fields because they are all so "juicy", each in its own way. But no matter what, I would think you should take some astrophysics course(s) while you are an undergrad in order to be ready.

Anyway, just thinking out loud really. Good luck!

It's ok to have your research experience not be in the field you want to do. For the most part, it just goes to show that you are motivated to do work in the field, and that you aren't completely incompetent at actual science. A simple example is that most theorists have lab experience in undergrad, which doesn't say much about their actual ability to do their intended research. But more generally, grad schools don't expect you to know exactly what you want to do when you are an undergrad, so they can't expect you to get experience in that field. Besides, working in one field can convince you that a different field is what you actually want to do.

Related to Maximizing Grad School Chances with Cosmology Focus

1. How can I improve my chances of getting into a graduate program with a focus on cosmology?

There are a few key things you can do to maximize your chances of getting into a graduate program with a focus on cosmology. First, make sure you have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and astronomy. Take relevant courses and excel in them. Second, get involved in research projects related to cosmology, either through internships or working with professors at your institution. This will show your dedication and passion for the field. Third, aim for a high GPA and prepare well for your standardized tests such as the GRE. Finally, make sure to have strong letters of recommendation from professors who can speak to your abilities and potential in cosmology.

2. Is it important to have a specific research focus within cosmology when applying to graduate school?

Having a specific research focus within cosmology can be beneficial, but it is not always necessary. Some graduate programs may prefer applicants with a clear focus, while others may value a broader understanding of cosmology. However, having a specific research interest can help you stand out and demonstrate your passion and dedication for the field. It can also make it easier for you to find a suitable research advisor once you are in a graduate program.

3. What type of experience should I have before applying to graduate school with a focus on cosmology?

Ideally, you should have some research experience in cosmology before applying to graduate school. This could be through internships, research projects at your institution, or even independent research projects. Additionally, having a strong background in physics, mathematics, and astronomy is important. Some graduate programs may also value experience in programming and data analysis, as these are important skills in cosmology research.

4. What can I do to make my application stand out to graduate programs with a focus on cosmology?

In addition to having a strong academic background and research experience, there are a few things you can do to make your application stand out. Consider attending conferences or presenting your research at regional or national meetings. This will not only showcase your work but also give you the opportunity to network with potential advisors. You can also participate in outreach activities related to cosmology, such as giving talks at schools or writing articles for science magazines.

5. Are there any specific graduate programs that are known for their cosmology research?

There are several graduate programs that have strong cosmology research groups and are well-respected in the field. Some notable examples include the University of California Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the University of Cambridge. However, it's important to research and consider multiple programs to find the best fit for your interests and goals.