Maximizing Experiment Yield: What Factors Matter?

In summary, if you want to improve the percent yield of an experiment, you should try to increase the concentration of one of the reactants, choose conditions that push the equilibrium the right way, or use a catalyst.
apchemstudent
How can you improve the percent yield of an experiment? I'm not even sure what affects the percent yield. Please help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
[tex]\mbox{percent yield}=\frac{\mbox{experimental yield}}{\mbox{predicted yield}}\times 100[/tex]
Can you try to answer your own question now?

Sirus said:
[tex]\mbox{percent yield}=\frac{\mbox{experimental yield}}{\mbox{predicted yield}}\times 100[/tex]
Can you try to answer your own question now?

No, because that tells me nothing. All you're telling me is to improve my experimental yield, but i want to know ways of improving that.

According to Le Chatelier's principle, reacting at least one of the products will increase the product yield; for example, if a reaction generates water, distilling it with toluene (an azeotropic mixture) at 80°C will drive your reaction to the right side.

All other applications may be explained with this very principle; taking the product into another non -miscible phase (for example, extraction is like that), or forcing it to precipitate (forming a solid phase in a solution), your yield will boost.

As a last word, try to produce inorganic reactants in an organic reaction; as the product will likely be insoluble in common organic solvents, your reaction will be of a good-yield one. Acetic anhydride may be prepared with acetic acid+dehydrating agent; but if you try to prepare with acetyl chloride+sodium acetate, your yield will be superior to the former.

I am sure you got the point.

apchemstudent said:
No, because that tells me nothing. All you're telling me is to improve my experimental yield, but i want to know ways of improving that.

Hmm. I see. I guess chem_tr covered it.

Some suggestions: 1) Increase the concentration of one of the reactants (the cheapest one, usually). That will cause more of the other reactant to react. 2) Choose conditions that push the equilibrium the right way; for instance, if 3 moles of gas react to form 2 moles of gas, higher pressure will favor the reaction. 3) Sometimes, a catalyst can be used.

Assuming that this experiment is specific for a particular reaction and contains its own procedures...simply follow the directions. You might want to tell us more details about your lab experiment.

Related to Maximizing Experiment Yield: What Factors Matter?

1. What is the definition of experiment yield?

Experiment yield refers to the amount or percentage of desired results obtained from an experiment. It measures the success of an experiment in achieving its intended goals.

2. What factors affect experiment yield?

There are several factors that can affect experiment yield, including the quality of the materials used, the precision and accuracy of the equipment, the design and execution of the experiment, and the expertise of the researcher.

3. How can I maximize experiment yield?

To maximize experiment yield, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, use high-quality materials and equipment, maintain strict control over variables, and be diligent and thorough in data collection and analysis. Collaboration with other researchers and seeking feedback can also help improve yield.

4. What are some common mistakes that can affect experiment yield?

Some common mistakes that can affect experiment yield include using low-quality materials or equipment, not controlling variables effectively, not following the proper protocols or procedures, and not analyzing data accurately. Lack of expertise and experience can also lead to mistakes that can impact yield.

5. Can experiment yield be improved even after an experiment has been conducted?

Yes, experiment yield can be improved even after an experiment has been conducted by revisiting the data and analyzing it in different ways, seeking feedback from other researchers, and identifying and addressing any errors or mistakes that may have impacted the results. This can lead to a better understanding of the experiment and potential avenues for future research.