Maximizing Diffraction of Water Waves through a Single-Slit Barrier

In summary, the question is asking which adjustment can increase the degree of diffraction in a water wave passing through a one-slit plastic plate in a divided water tank. The correct answer is (1), making the water in the whole tank deeper, as this will increase the wavelength of the wave. It is unclear if (2) or (3) would also increase the degree of diffraction, as it is unknown how altering the depth of only one side of the tank would affect the wave's properties.
Deathnote777

Homework Statement

Suppose a water wave is moving from left to right in a water tank. The water tank is divided to two region (left and right) by an one-slit plastic plate. Which of the following(s) adjustment can increase the degree of diffraction of the wave ?

(1) Make the water of the whole tank deeper.
(2) Make the water in the right side deeper only.
(3) Make the water in the left side deeper only.

Homework Equations

Nil

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (1) must be correct as it can increase wavelength. But I am not sure whether (2) and (3) is correct or not, please explain. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine you're a bit of the water just past the slit. Over time, what are you aware of wrt the movement of the water in the first half of the tank?

haruspex said:
Imagine you're a bit of the water just past the slit. Over time, what are you aware of wrt the movement of the water in the first half of the tank?

As far as I know, wavelength in deeper region will be longer. My teacher told me that the degree of diffraction will increase with the wavelength of waves. However, I don't know what will happen when making only 1 side deeper while another side remains unchanged.

you are right about the wavelength in deeper water being longer.

Deathnote777 said:
As far as I know, wavelength in deeper region will be longer. My teacher told me that the degree of diffraction will increase with the wavelength of waves. However, I don't know what will happen when making only 1 side deeper while another side remains unchanged.
Yes, I understand that. Did you try to answer my question?

haruspex said:
Yes, I understand that. Did you try to answer my question?

I don't really understand your question exactly. If I am a bit of the water and am passing through the slit, I will be diffracted, move away from the central line after passing through the slit

Deathnote777 said:
I don't really understand your question exactly. If I am a bit of the water and am passing through the slit, I will be diffracted, move away from the central line after passing through the slit
No, you're not passing through the slit, you're sitting on the surface just after the slit. (The wave moves, not the water.). What can you determine about the wave?

haruspex said:
No, you're not passing through the slit, you're sitting on the surface just after the slit. (The wave moves, not the water.). What can you determine about the wave?

The wave will diffract

No, you're thinking like an external observer able to see the whole thing. I'm asking you to be a microscopic observer only able to see what's going on immediately after the slit. What do you experience? What can you tell about the wave wrt frequency, amplitude and wavelength?

Related to Maximizing Diffraction of Water Waves through a Single-Slit Barrier

1. What is diffraction of water wave?

Diffraction of water wave is the bending or spreading of a water wave as it passes through an opening or around an obstacle. It is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave encounters a change in its propagation medium.

2. How does water wave diffraction occur?

Water wave diffraction occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or opening that is of similar size to its wavelength. As the wave passes through the opening or around the obstacle, it bends and spreads out, creating a pattern of interference.

3. What factors affect water wave diffraction?

The factors that affect water wave diffraction include the size and shape of the obstacle or opening, the wavelength of the wave, and the speed of the wave. The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the wave approaches the obstacle or opening, also plays a role.

4. What is the difference between diffraction and refraction of water waves?

Diffraction and refraction are both phenomena that occur when a wave encounters a change in its propagation medium. However, diffraction refers to the bending or spreading of a wave around an obstacle or through an opening, while refraction is the change in direction of a wave as it passes through a medium with varying density.

5. What are some real-life applications of water wave diffraction?

Water wave diffraction has various applications in everyday life, such as in the design of breakwaters and harbor barriers, the study of ocean currents and tides, and the creation of wave-blocking structures for protection against erosion. It is also used in the development of sonar technology and in the study of seismic waves in the Earth's crust.