Maximizing Cam Follower Mass for Contact with Rotating Cam: A Dynamic Analysis

• Thread starter i_am_imbact
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cam Spring
In summary: The solution starts with a clear description of the system. In this case, start by making four plots. Each plot covers 360 degrees of cam rotation. One plot is cam follower position vs rotation angle, one plot is follower velocity vs rotation angle, the third plot is follower acceleration vs cam angle, and the fourth plot is spring force vs cam angle. The first two plots are not strictly necessary, but you should do them in order to better understand the system. Then you use F = ma, where F is the spring force, m is the total cam follower moving mass, and a is the acceleration of the moving mass. When F = ma, the follower is losing contact with the cam.
i_am_imbact
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Hello,
I have a problem in which I know the constant of the spring,the maximum and minimun force that the spring does to the camand the rotational speed of the cam.I am asked to find the necessary mass to attach to the spring in the follower so the follower always stays in contact with the cam.I am attaching the picture of the cam and the follower.Also we know that the Y(θ)=h/2(1-cos(θ) 0<θ<90 the follower goes up 90<θ<180 the follower goes down and on 180<θ<360 the follower is dwelling/

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
i_am_imbact said:
Also we know that the Y(θ)=h/2(1-cos(θ)
Do we ? Looks more like the red guy:

1590060531668.png

And the most likely place to lose contact is at ##\theta = 90^\circ## where the spring has to accelerate maximum the whole lot: roller, washer, spring itself, roller follower and whatever it attached above.

[edit]although the amplitude is less: ##y = 1-1/2\,\cos(2\theta)## or so.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Hi,
Do we ? Looks more like the red guy:

View attachment 263201

And the most likely place to lose contact is at ##\theta=906 \circ## where the spring has to accelerate maximum the whole lot: roller, washer, springitself, roller follower and whatever it attached above.
Sorry I made I mistake I meant 1-cos(2θ) also we don't consider the roller , spring and washers have any mass,we only need to find a relation for the mass of the roller follower so the cam is always in touch with the roller.I though maybe if we make the ode of the roller follower and we demanded that the y(θ) is a solution we find the necessary mass

Zero is best :smile:

Likes jrmichler
i_am_imbact said:
also we don't consider the roller , spring and washers have any mass,we only need to find a relation for the mass of the roller follower so the cam is always in touch with the roller
NO, NO, NO. You need to consider ALL of the moving mass driven by the cam. And your question makes sense if you are looking for the maximum mass for a certain speed of the cam.

The solution starts with a clear description of the system. In this case, start by making four plots. Each plot covers 360 degrees of cam rotation. One plot is cam follower position vs rotation angle, one plot is follower velocity vs rotation angle, the third plot is follower acceleration vs cam angle, and the fourth plot is spring force vs cam angle. The first two plots are not strictly necessary, but you should do them in order to better understand the system.

Then you use F = ma, where F is the spring force, m is the total cam follower moving mass, and a is the acceleration of the moving mass. When F = ma, the follower is losing contact with the cam. When F > ma, the follower stays in contact with the cam. When F < ma, the follower loses contact with the cam.

jrmichler said:
NO, NO, NO. You need to consider ALL of the moving mass driven by the cam. And your question makes sense if you are looking for the maximum mass for a certain speed of the cam.

The solution starts with a clear description of the system. In this case, start by making four plots. Each plot covers 360 degrees of cam rotation. One plot is cam follower position vs rotation angle, one plot is follower velocity vs rotation angle, the third plot is follower acceleration vs cam angle, and the fourth plot is spring force vs cam angle. The first two plots are not strictly necessary, but you should do them in order to better understand the system.

Then you use F = ma, where F is the spring force, m is the total cam follower moving mass, and a is the acceleration of the moving mass. When F = ma, the follower is losing contact with the cam. When F > ma, the follower stays in contact with the cam. When F < ma, the follower loses contact with the cam.
Thank you very much,
Also I would like to ask you if the possibility for the follower to lose contact with the cam only lies when the cam is going down.Also for example with a=a(θ) and F=-Kx , x=x(θ),in order to find the maximum mass we need to form the equation w(θ)=-K*x(θ)/x''(θ) and find the maximum for these equation between 90<θ<180?

Related to Maximizing Cam Follower Mass for Contact with Rotating Cam: A Dynamic Analysis

What is a cam follower with a spring?

A cam follower with a spring is a mechanical component used in engines and machinery to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a cam follower, which is a rolling element that follows the shape of a cam, and a spring, which provides the necessary force to maintain contact between the cam and the follower.

How does a cam follower with a spring work?

When the cam rotates, the cam follower rolls along its surface, causing the follower to move in a linear motion. The spring ensures that the follower maintains contact with the cam, even when there are variations in the cam's shape or speed. This allows for precise and consistent movement of the follower.

What are the advantages of using a cam follower with a spring?

One advantage is that it can convert rotational motion into linear motion with high precision and efficiency. It also allows for smooth and consistent movement, even under varying conditions. Additionally, it can handle high loads and speeds, making it suitable for use in a wide range of applications.

What are some common uses for a cam follower with a spring?

Cam followers with springs are commonly used in engines, such as in valve trains and fuel injection systems. They are also used in machinery for precise positioning and movement, such as in printing presses, packaging machines, and industrial robots. They can also be found in household appliances, such as washing machines and air conditioners.

How do I choose the right cam follower with a spring for my application?

The right cam follower with a spring will depend on factors such as the load, speed, and type of motion required. It is important to consider the material and design of the cam follower and spring to ensure they can withstand the conditions of your application. Consulting with a mechanical engineer or supplier can help you determine the best option for your specific needs.