Maximizing Area: Solving an Inscribed Circle Problem in an Isosceles Triangle

• MHB
  • Thread starter dexstarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the radius of the circle of maximum area that can be inscribed in an isosceles triangle whose two equal sides have length 1 is $r^2=-x^3-2x^2+4x$.
dexstarr
Hey Everyone,

I'm having trouble setting up this word problem.
I know that area of a circle is pir2 and area of a triangle is 1/2bh but for some reason I can't find a way to combine these equation together.

What are the radius and area of the circle of maximum area that can be inscribed in an isosceles triangle whose two equal sides have length 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is how I approached the problem:

Bisect the isosceles triangle into two right triangles, and put one of the right triangles in the $xy$-plane with the right angle at the origin, as in the diagram:

View attachment 925

The vertical leg has length $b$ and the horizontal leg has length $b$.

The hypotenuse of the triangle lies along the line $y(x)$. By the two-intercept form of a line, we know:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

By Pythagoras, and the fact that the hypotenuse is 1 unit in length, we know:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2=1\)

This will allow you to write the line in terms of one parameter.

Next, use the fact that the perpendicular distance from the point $(r,0)$ to this line is simply $r$. This will allow you to write $r$ as a function of one parameter. If you express the line in slope-intercept form, you may use the formula for the perpendicular distance between a point and a line:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{\left|mx_0+b-y_0 \right|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

Once you have $r$ as a function of one parameter, differentiate $r$ with respect to this parameter, and equate to zero to find the critical value within the domain. Then evaluate $r$ at this critical value to find the maximum radius, and plug this into the formula for the area of the circle having this radius.

Please feel free to post your work if you get stuck or need further guidance.

Attachments

• dexstarr.jpg
    dexstarr.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 89
dexstarr said:
Hey Everyone,

I'm having trouble setting up this word problem.
I know that area of a circle is pir2 and area of a triangle is 1/2bh but for some reason I can't find a way to combine these equation together.

What are the radius and area of the circle of maximum area that can be inscribed in an isosceles triangle whose two equal sides have length 1?

I'd advise you to start by drawing out the situation. Call the third length of your triangle \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \end{align*}\). Can you find a way to write the radius of your circle in terms of \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x \end{align*}\)?

Also, it might be more useful to use Heron's Formula for the area of a triangle: If your sides are \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} a,b,c \end{align*}\), then the semiperimeter is \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} s = \frac{a + b + c}{2} \end{align*}\) and the area of your triangle is \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} A = \sqrt{ s ( s - a)( s- b) (s - c)} \end{align*}\).

View attachment 929

s = (2 + x)/(2) or (1 + x/2)

r^2 = [((1 + x/2)-1)((1 + x/2)-1)((1 + x/2)-x)] / (1 + x/2)

r^2 = (2x^2 - x^3) / (4x+8)

r^2 ' = (-x^3-2x^2+4x) / (2x^2+8x+8)

(-x^3-2x^2+4x) / (2x^2+8x+8) = 0

Max is x= -1 + (5)^1/2
Min is x= 0 Is this correct so far?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-23 at 7.02.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-23 at 7.02.01 PM.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 85
Your result agrees with the work I did, as your value for $x$ is twice what I found for $b$. I will admit though, that I do not follow what you did to get there.

Hi,
can you post the final answer to this problem so that I can check it with mine?
MarkFL said:
This is how I approached the problem:

Bisect the isosceles triangle into two right triangles, and put one of the right triangles in the $xy$-plane with the right angle at the origin, as in the diagram:

View attachment 925

The vertical leg has length $b$ and the horizontal leg has length $b$.

The hypotenuse of the triangle lies along the line $y(x)$. By the two-intercept form of a line, we know:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{a}+\frac{y}{b}=1\)

By Pythagoras, and the fact that the hypotenuse is 1 unit in length, we know:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2=1\)

This will allow you to write the line in terms of one parameter.

Next, use the fact that the perpendicular distance from the point $(r,0)$ to this line is simply $r$. This will allow you to write $r$ as a function of one parameter. If you express the line in slope-intercept form, you may use the formula for the perpendicular distance between a point and a line:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{\left|mx_0+b-y_0 \right|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

Once you have $r$ as a function of one parameter, differentiate $r$ with respect to this parameter, and equate to zero to find the critical value within the domain. Then evaluate $r$ at this critical value to find the maximum radius, and plug this into the formula for the area of the circle having this radius.

Please feel free to post your work if you get stuck or need further guidance.

dmireya said:
Hi,
can you post the final answer to this problem so that I can check it with mine?

I no longer have my notes on this problem, but if you want to post your work, I will be glad to go over it.

Related to Maximizing Area: Solving an Inscribed Circle Problem in an Isosceles Triangle

1) What are optimization problems?

Optimization problems are mathematical or computational problems that involve finding the best possible solution to a given problem. This can involve maximizing or minimizing a certain quantity, subject to a set of constraints.

2) What are some common examples of optimization problems?

Some common examples of optimization problems include finding the shortest route between two points, minimizing the cost of production, maximizing profits, and optimizing the design of a product or process.

3) How are optimization problems solved?

Optimization problems are typically solved using mathematical techniques such as calculus, linear programming, or dynamic programming. These methods involve finding the optimal solution by evaluating different possible solutions and selecting the one that meets the given criteria.

4) What are the main challenges in solving optimization problems?

The main challenges in solving optimization problems include dealing with complex and non-linear functions, handling a large number of variables, and considering multiple constraints. It can also be difficult to determine if the solution found is truly the optimal one.

5) Why are optimization problems important?

Optimization problems are important because they allow us to find the most efficient and effective solutions to a wide range of real-world problems. They are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, computer science, and operations research to improve processes, reduce costs, and achieve optimal outcomes.