Maximize Integral: Find Exact Value of $\int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we discussed how to find the exact maximum value of $\int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx$ for $0 \le y \le 1$, using the definition of the derivative and an inequality. The maximum value was found to be $\frac{1}{3}$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find the exact maximum value of $\int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx$ for $0 \le y \le 1$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Find the exact maximum value of $\int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx$ for $0 \le y \le 1$.
I presume you know that to determine maximum or minimum values for a differentiable function, you set the derivative equal to 0. You should also know that if [tex]f(y)= \int_a^y g(x,y) dx[/tex] then [tex]df/dy= g(y,y)[/tex]. So you should find y such that [tex]\sqrt{y^4+ (y- y^2)^2}= 0[/tex]. (If that y is not between 0 and 1 then look at the value at 0 and 1.)

HallsofIvy said:
I presume you know that to determine maximum or minimum values for a differentiable function, you set the derivative equal to 0. You should also know that if [tex]f(y)= \int_a^y g(x,y) dx[/tex] then [tex]df/dy= g(y,y)[/tex]. So you should find y such that [tex]\sqrt{y^4+ (y- y^2)^2}= 0[/tex]. (If that y is not between 0 and 1 then look at the value at 0 and 1.)

That doesn't look quite right.

Suppose $g(x,y) = x+y$.

Then:
\begin{aligned}\frac{d}{dy}\int_0^y g(x,y)dx
&= \frac{d}{dy}\int_0^y (x+y)dx \\
&= \frac{d}{dy}\left(\frac 1 2 x^2 + xy \Big|_0^y\right) \\
&= \frac{d}{dy}\left(\frac 3 2 y^2\right) \\
&= 3y
\end{aligned}
But:
$$g(y,y) = y+y = 2y \ne 3y$$

We cannot differentiate with respect to $y$ while it is inside the integral so we have first to separate them then

\(\displaystyle \int^y_0 (x+y)dx = \int^y_0 xdx +y\int^y_0 dx \)

Now if we differentiate and according to the product rule we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{df}{dy}\int^y_0 (x+y)dx=\frac{df}{dy} \left( \int^y_0 xdx +y\int^y_0 dx \right) =y +\int^y_0 dx+y = 3y \)

So the FTC doesn't apply directly here.

If $ \displaystyle f(y)= \int_a^y g(x,y) \ dx$, then $ \displaystyle \frac{df}{dy}= \int_{a}^{y} g_{y}(x,y) \ dx + g(y,y)$.

Random Variable said:
If $ \displaystyle f(y)= \int_a^y g(x,y) \ dx$, then $ \displaystyle \frac{df}{dy}= \int_{a}^{y} g_{y}(x,y) \ dx + g(y,y)$.

That integral doesn't seem to be solvable in terms of elementary functions. The W|A returns an elliptic integral.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Random Variable said:

I believe you're right, and if one wants to attack the problem using this definition, then that would be welcome!

ZaidAlyafey said:
That integral doesn't seem to be solvable in terms of elementary functions.

Hmm...that's not quite right, Zaid! But speaking of more advanced integration field, you and the rest of the members are the experts, not me. I want to let you know that one of the solutions that I have solved it through the inequality route and I actually can't wait to share it with MHB! :)

Having said so, I will only post the solutions days later with the hope that others may want to take a stab at it.

anemone said:
Hmm...that's not quite right, Zaid!

Well, I don't know whether I am messing something but I still cannot think how to find an elementary anti-derivative for that integral.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Well, I don't know whether I am messing something but I still cannot think how to find an elementary anti-derivative for that integral.

Most probably that I am wrong, Zaid. Please don't take what I said seriously because really I am no comparison to you when it comes to the territory of advance integration.

anemone said:
[sp]Let \(\displaystyle f(y) = \int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx.\) My instinct is that the maximum value of $f$ over the interval $[0,1]$ must be \(\displaystyle f(1) = \int_0^1 x^2\, dx = 1/3.\) Following anemone's hint about using an inequality, it occurred to me that if $a,b \geqslant 0$ then $\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \leqslant a+b.$ Applying that with $a=x^2$ and $b= y-y^2$, you see that \(\displaystyle f(y) \leqslant \int_0^y(x^2 + y - y^2)\,dx = \tfrac13y^3 + y^2 - y^3 = y^2 - \tfrac23y^3.\) But $y^2 - \tfrac23y^3$ is an increasing function on the interval $[0,1]$, with a maximum value $1/3$ when $y=1$. Therefore the maximum value of $f(y)$ is $f(1) = 1/3.$[/sp]

Opalg said:
[sp]Let \(\displaystyle f(y) = \int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx.\) My instinct is that the maximum value of $f$ over the interval $[0,1]$ must be \(\displaystyle f(1) = \int_0^1 x^2\, dx = 1/3.\) Following anemone's hint about using an inequality, it occurred to me that if $a,b \geqslant 0$ then $\sqrt{a^2+b^2} \leqslant a+b.$ Applying that with $a=x^2$ and $b= y-y^2$, you see that \(\displaystyle f(y) \leqslant \int_0^y(x^2 + y - y^2)\,dx = \tfrac13y^3 + y^2 - y^3 = y^2 - \tfrac23y^3.\) But $y^2 - \tfrac23y^3$ is an increasing function on the interval $[0,1]$, with a maximum value $1/3$ when $y=1$. Therefore the maximum value of $f(y)$ is $f(1) = 1/3.$[/sp]

Well done, Opalg, and thanks for participating! (Sun)

Related to Maximize Integral: Find Exact Value of $\int_0^y \sqrt{x^4+(y-y^2)^2} dx$

1. How do you solve for the exact value of the given integral?

The exact value of the given integral can be solved by using the substitution method or by using integration by parts. First, substitute the given limits of integration into the given integral. Then, use the appropriate integration techniques to simplify the integral and solve for the exact value.

2. What is the significance of the given integral in mathematics?

The given integral is significant in mathematics because it represents the area under the curve of a function. It is also used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution and to solve many real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. Can the given integral be solved using any other methods?

Yes, the given integral can also be solved numerically using methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. These methods approximate the exact value of the integral by dividing the region under the curve into smaller subintervals and calculating the area of each subinterval.

4. Is there a specific approach to solving this type of integral?

To solve this type of integral, it is helpful to first identify the type of function involved. In this case, the given integral is a square root function, which can be simplified by using algebraic techniques. Additionally, using trigonometric substitutions can also be helpful in solving this type of integral.

5. How can the exact value of the given integral be verified?

The exact value of the given integral can be verified by using online integration calculators or by checking the solution with the help of a computer software program such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha. Additionally, the solution can also be verified by hand by using differentiation to check if the result is equal to the original function.