Maximization of |F|^2 with Constraints on Real Inputs

• Thread starter NaturePaper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximization
In summary, the problem is to find the maximum of a complex function |F| (or |F|^2) w.r.t. a set of real (positive) numbers x_i. The set of constraints is that |F|^2=0 for all i.
NaturePaper
Will anyone please help me to solve the problem:

F(x_1,x_2,...,x_n) is a complex valued function and each x_i are real (may be positive too) numbers.

I have to find the maximum of |F| (or |F|^2) w.r.t. x_i.

What are the set of constraints? I don't think it will be exactly as
[tex]\frac{\partial |F|}{\partial x_i}=0[/tex]

Please provide some helpful reference.

Thanks and Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some friends told me that it was correct and the set of constraints are
[tex]\frac{\partial |F|}{\partial x_i}=0,\quad \forall i=1(1)n.[/tex]

The reason they provides is that we can always consider [tex]f=|F|[/tex] as a real valued function from
[tex]\mathbfl{R}^n\to \mathbfl{R}[/tex]

Please clarify me.

You're partially correct. Finding the critical points will not distinguish between max, min, and saddle points. The technical way to do it is to find the Hessian and show that it's negative definite. Although given the level of the original post, that may not mean much.

zhentil said:
You're partially correct. Finding the critical points will not distinguish between max, min, and saddle points. The technical way to do it is to find the Hessian and show that it's negative definite. Although given the level of the original post, that may not mean much.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm only interested in the condition for critical point (Let me assume that it is given that |F| has a maximum)-and I don't need to check the characteristic of the critical point (saddle point/maxima/minima).
Is it correct what I said [ GRAD(|F|)=0 is the condition for critical points ] in this case?

Please, clarify me.

NaturePaper said:
Thanks for the reply.
I'm only interested in the condition for critical point (Let me assume that it is given that |F| has a maximum)-and I don't need to check the characteristic of the critical point (saddle point/maxima/minima).
Is it correct what I said [ GRAD(|F|)=0 is the condition for critical points ] in this case?

Please, clarify me.
If your function is continuously differentiable, then yes.

zhentil said:
If your function is continuously differentiable, then yes.
@zhentil,
OOps...its very difficult to check the differentiability etc..(a generalized multidimensional form of Cauchy-Riemann equations are to be satisfied etc..). For my case, the function has no singularity in its domain of definition.

@thornahawk (GP)

My problem is :
[tex]\max_{|x_i|\le k_i}|F(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)|[/tex] where F is a given complex function (means [tex] F:\mathbf{R}^n\to\mathbf{C}[/tex]).

Now, my question is:

Is the above problem is equivalent to (i.e., they are the same upto a square)
[tex]\max_{|x_i|\le k_i}[U^2+V^2][/tex] where [tex]F=U+iV,~U,V:\mathbf{R}^n\to\mathbf{R}[/tex]?

If this is correct, then can I assume [tex]U,V\ge0[/tex] in the condition for critical points
[tex]U\frac{\partial U}{\partial x_i}+V\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_i}=0,~i=1(1)n[/tex]

The explicite form of F shows it has no singularity for [tex]|x_i|\le k_i[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Related to Maximization of |F|^2 with Constraints on Real Inputs

1. What is the meaning of "Maximization of a |F|^2" in scientific terms?

The phrase "Maximization of a |F|^2" refers to the process of finding the maximum value of the squared magnitude of a complex function F. This is often done in order to optimize the performance of a system or to find the optimal solution to a problem.

2. How is the "Maximization of a |F|^2" different from regular maximization?

The "Maximization of a |F|^2" is different from regular maximization as it involves dealing with complex functions and their squared magnitudes, rather than simple numerical values. This can make the process more challenging and require specialized mathematical techniques.

3. What are the applications of "Maximization of a |F|^2" in scientific research?

"Maximization of a |F|^2" has many applications in various fields of scientific research, such as signal processing, image processing, and optimization problems. It is commonly used in areas such as telecommunications, control systems, and machine learning.

4. What are some methods used to perform "Maximization of a |F|^2"?

There are several methods used to perform "Maximization of a |F|^2", including gradient descent, Newton's method, and the steepest ascent method. These methods involve iteratively updating the parameters of the function in order to find the maximum value of the squared magnitude.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Maximization of a |F|^2" process?

Yes, there are some limitations to the "Maximization of a |F|^2" process. It may not always be possible to find the global maximum of a complex function, and the process can be computationally intensive. Additionally, the initial guess or starting point for the optimization can greatly affect the result.