Download speeds on different connections

• Thread starter hell18
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about download speeds and the different types of connections people have. The maximum speed for an ADSL 512K connection is 60 kilobytes per second, while a burstable T1 connection can reach up to 100 kilobytes per second. The formula for converting bits to bytes is also mentioned. Some people have experienced speeds as high as 400 kilobytes per second or even 1 megabyte per second.
hell18
i know on ADSL 512K, which i am on now i get 60K a second maximum. I was just wondering what other connections people got and their download speed. i know it depends on traffic, and the servers, i mean what is the fastest download speed you got so far?

mine downloading from microsoft i think i got 75K a second and it stayed there at that speed for along time.

Computer science news on Phys.org
512K is kiloBITS (usually abbreviated kb), 60K is kiloBYTES (kB). So you are getting 480kB, which is very close to your max speed.

Russ...what is the formula that you use to get those figures? I can never remember how it works

18...I use a burstable T1 here at work and see up to 100kps. However, in my travels I have been to colleges that use different speed OC lines, and I've downloaded at up to 320kps.

Originally posted by Considering
Russ...what is the formula that you use to get those figures? I can never remember how it works

18...I use a burstable T1 here at work and see up to 100kps. However, in my travels I have been to colleges that use different speed OC lines, and I've downloaded at up to 320kps.
Bits/8 = Bytes

512kb / 8kb/kB = 60kB

I was also on a good college lan and I once got 400kB (kilobytes/sec) in a download. Thats 2.4mb (megabits/sec). Smoking.

When I was an undergrad living on-campus, our dorms were part of the nice campus academic network... as such we automatically got routed through things like vBNS (hi-speed dedicated academic network) when contacting computers at other big universities. There were a few times I was downloading stuff from like Berkeley or MIT and getting speeds of around a megabyte/second -- could tell it was saturating the local 10BaseT ethernet. Pretty damn cool. ;)

1. What factors affect download speeds on different connections?

Download speeds can be affected by various factors such as the type of connection (wired or wireless), the quality and strength of the connection, the distance from the source, and the amount of network traffic at a given time.

2. How do different types of connections impact download speeds?

Wired connections, such as Ethernet or fiber optic, generally provide faster and more stable download speeds compared to wireless connections. This is because wired connections have a dedicated pathway for data transmission, whereas wireless connections can be affected by interference and signal strength.

3. Can the location of the server affect download speeds?

Yes, the physical location of the server from which you are downloading can affect your download speeds. The farther you are from the server, the longer it will take for data to travel back and forth, resulting in slower download speeds.

4. How can I improve my download speeds on different connections?

Some ways to improve download speeds include using a wired connection, ensuring a strong and stable connection, limiting the number of devices connected to the network, and avoiding peak hours when there is high network traffic. Upgrading to a faster internet plan can also significantly improve download speeds.

5. Are download speeds consistent on different types of connections?

No, download speeds are not always consistent on different types of connections. They can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, as well as the quality of the connection and the type of data being downloaded. It is also important to note that download speeds can fluctuate even on the same type of connection due to network congestion or other external factors.