Max Tension for Bridge Cable: Calculating Safe Distance from Wall

• Thread starter Joza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: The question is not about the breaking of the bridge, but the breaking of the cable supporting the other end. It doesn't matter if the bridge is 'fixed', 'pinned' or 'glued' to the wall, or if somebody is holding up the bridge where it joins the wall, as long as it's kept horizontal.
Joza
This is quiet simple problem, but I am a bit confused.

I have a bridge of S metres length attached to a wall at one end, and a cable at the other. The cable will break under a particular tension force T. If I walk out along it from the wall end, how far can I go before the cable breaks.

So first of all, the max tension that I can exert on it must be the max tension T minus the tension the bridge puts on the cable right?
The bridge's weight acts from its center, ie. center of gravity. Its weight is mg, but do I need to take into account its distance from the wall to its center of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you of weight W are at a dist x from the wall, then taking moment about the point where the bridge is fixed to the wall, we have,

Wx + mgS/2 = TS => T = mg/2 + Wx/S.

Depending on both W and x, T increases. But T doesn't depend on the dist of the CM from the wall. But your weight and dist from the wall are indeed important factors.

I don't want to complicate the problem but the answer depends on how the bridge is fixed to the wall. Is it just sitting "PINNED" on the wall or is it "FIXED".

If the bridge is indeed "fixed" we would need more information, namely, about the materials of both the cable and bridge to determine an answer.

vector3 said:
I don't want to complicate the problem but the answer depends on how the bridge is fixed to the wall. Is it just sitting "PINNED" on the wall or is it "FIXED".

If the bridge is indeed "fixed" we would need more information, namely, about the materials of both the cable and bridge to determine an answer.

The question here is not about the bridge breaking away from the wall but the breaking of the cable supporting the other end. It doesn't matter if the bridge is 'fixed', 'pinned' or 'glued' to the wall, or if somebody is holding up the bridge where it joins the wall, as long as it's kept horizontal. Of course, it's assumed here that the bridge cannot break away from the wall. In a real bridge, many things have to be taken under consideration, as you have pointed out.

Shooting star said:
It doesn't matter if the bridge is 'fixed', 'pinned' or 'glued' to the wall, or if somebody is holding up the bridge where it joins the wall, as long as it's kept horizontal.

The slope of the elastic curve of the bridge depends on the fixity of the ends. The cable only supplies one reaction. In a 'pinned' supported bridge the wall will supply either 2 reactions, horizontal and vertical, while a 'fixed' support supplies 3 reactions, horizontal, vertical and a rotational restraint. In short, if the end of bridge is 'pinned' your equation for moments is valid. If the end of the bridge is 'fixed' at the other end your moment equation is not valid, in otherwords, your missing a force in the equation.

I was under the impression that it would be just the other way round.

This is a high school problem, and it’s tacitly implied that the bridge is horizontal at all points. In this problem, the rotational restraint is assumed. I am not an engineer, but is your pinned bridge horizontal at the fixed end. It is hanging more like a catenary, perhaps?

I would appreciate it if you would give a more realistic solution to the problem, given the data supplied by the OP

Shooting Star, I click around in the forums and I am impressed with the range of complexity of the problems and responses. I believe I missed the real intent of the problem. My mistake for confusing the issue. Your original moment equation and response is correct.

The original post uses the word 'attached'. In the engineering world, the word "attached" implies reactions; begging the question how many reactions?

A first or second year college student in engineering or physics would be required to "enforce deflection compatibility" at the rod --> the stretch of the rod must equal the "sag" of the bridge at that point. Now I realize that this is not the intent of the question. Again, I reget the confusion.

Related to Max Tension for Bridge Cable: Calculating Safe Distance from Wall

1. What is the purpose of calculating the max tension for bridge cable?

The purpose of calculating the max tension for bridge cable is to ensure the safety and stability of the bridge. By determining the maximum amount of tension that the bridge cables can withstand, engineers can design the bridge to withstand the weight and movement of traffic and environmental factors such as wind and earthquakes. This calculation is crucial in preventing the bridge from collapsing or experiencing structural damage.

2. What factors are involved in calculating the max tension for bridge cable?

There are several factors that are involved in calculating the max tension for bridge cable. These include the weight and type of materials used in the bridge construction, the expected traffic load, the environmental conditions of the bridge's location, and the design and placement of the bridge cables. These factors are taken into consideration to determine the maximum safe distance between the bridge cables and the wall or other structures.

3. How is the safe distance from the wall determined for bridge cables?

The safe distance from the wall for bridge cables is determined by using mathematical formulas and engineering principles. These calculations take into account the tension and weight distribution of the bridge cables, as well as the strength and stability of the bridge's support structures. Engineers also consider the potential impact of external factors such as wind and seismic activity when determining the safe distance from the wall for bridge cables.

4. Why is it important to regularly calculate the max tension for bridge cables?

Regularly calculating the max tension for bridge cables is important to ensure the ongoing safety and stability of the bridge. Over time, the weight and traffic load on the bridge may change, and environmental factors can also affect the tension of the bridge cables. By regularly recalculating the max tension, engineers can make any necessary adjustments or repairs to maintain the safety and integrity of the bridge.

5. Are there any safety regulations or standards for calculating the max tension for bridge cables?

Yes, there are safety regulations and standards that govern the calculation of max tension for bridge cables. These regulations are set by government agencies and engineering organizations to ensure the safety and reliability of bridges. Engineers must adhere to these regulations and standards when designing and constructing bridges, and regular inspections are conducted to ensure compliance and make any necessary updates or repairs.