Max tensile strength of Unobtanium

In summary, "Unobtanium" is a fictional material often used in science fiction to surpass the limits of current materials. However, in reality, there are limits to the maximum tensile strength that any material could have, determined by the forces that hold atoms together. The material with the highest known tensile strength is carbon nanotubes, but there is speculation about the potential for super strong matter based on magnetic monopoles. The existence of such matter is still uncertain.
MonstersFromTheId
Max tensile strength of "Unobtanium"

"Unobtanium", of course, is that ever popular fictional material used in Sci-Fi to do things that today's materials can't. The idea being that although the materials we know of and use today have well established limits, there's no telling what will be discovered "in the future", so "in the future" pretty much anything goes.

Well, alright, that's a great conceit if your goal is a bit of "suspension of disbelief" for the sake of telling a story, but I suspect that in the real world there are in fact limits as to what any material could do, regardless of how far off into "the future" it's discovered or developed.

For example - Space Tethers.
If you want to build a big one, and I mean a really-really-REALLY big one, with hundreds of "mag-lev" cars running up and down its rails or ribbons between Earth and a ten mile diameter city three hundred miles up, that itself hangs from a plethora of rails or ribbons, from a HUGE counter weight just past G.S.O., well,.. you'd need some pretty dammed impressive "Unobtanium" to do that.

That thought led me to this question:
Is there a limit to the maximum tensile strength that ANY material, could ever have, regardless of how much time somebody has to come up with it?
By that I mean that there ARE limits to the forces that hold atoms together aren't there? And if that's the case, wouldn't there be a limit to the maximum tensile strength any material could ever possibly have?

So in that vein of thinking, what would the maximum tensile strength of "Unobtanium" be, and how would that compare to the tensile strength of something like C.N.T.'s?
Are we talking 2%, 10%, 98%?
Are we entering an age where we now have a pretty good idea of what "Unobtanium" looks like, at least when it comes to the limits of tensile strength?
Or, are we no where near that far along when it comes to the kinds of tensile strengths materials could have "in the future"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I remember from engineering classes, I think covalent bonds are the strongest and thought it was calculated that the sp3-bond between carbon-carbon was the strongest, although I am not sure of that. If true, it would make diamond the material that theoretically at least has the highest tensile strength. I say theoretically because tensile strength is not just determined by the strength of the atomic bonds but also with things like crack propagation, which goes unlimited in brittle materials like glass and diamond but is stopped in ductile materials like metals.The material with the highest tensile strength so far is a material that is like diamond also carbon based and has covalent chemical bonds, carbon nanotubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

MonstersFromTheId said:
Is there a limit to the maximum tensile strength that ANY material, could ever have, regardless of how much time somebody has to come up with it?
By that I mean that there ARE limits to the forces that hold atoms together aren't there? And if that's the case, wouldn't there be a limit to the maximum tensile strength any material could ever possibly have?
So in that vein of thinking, what would the maximum tensile strength of "Unobtanium" be, and how would that compare to the tensile strength of something like C.N.T.'s?
Are we talking 2%, 10%, 98%?
Are we entering an age where we now have a pretty good idea of what "Unobtanium" looks like, at least when it comes to the limits of tensile strength?
Or, are we no where near that far along when it comes to the kinds of tensile strengths materials could have "in the future"?

Yes.

Yes.

People such as the late Dr. Robert Forward: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Forward
and Hans Moravec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Moravec
have talked about super strong matter based on magnetic monopoles, called monopolium. The science is sound, it's ability to be created depends on if massive magnetic monopoles exist or not. We haven't seen them yet.

We have a pretty good idea of what "Unobtanium" based only on the Periodic Elements would look like, and that's carbon nanotubes.

Unknown, it depends on if massive magnetic monopoles exist or not.

Related to Max tensile strength of Unobtanium

What is Unobtanium?

Unobtanium is a hypothetical material that is believed to have extremely high strength, durability, and other desirable properties. It is often used in science fiction and fantasy as a rare and valuable substance.

What is the maximum tensile strength of Unobtanium?

The maximum tensile strength of Unobtanium is unknown as it is a fictional material and does not exist in reality. However, it is often depicted as having a tensile strength that far exceeds any known material.

Can Unobtanium be created or manufactured?

No, Unobtanium cannot be created or manufactured as it is a purely fictional material. It is often described as being found in limited quantities in remote and inaccessible locations.

What properties make Unobtanium so desirable?

Unobtanium is often depicted as having incredible strength, durability, resistance to extreme temperatures, and other desirable properties that make it highly sought after in science fiction and fantasy worlds.

Is there any real-life material that comes close to the properties of Unobtanium?

Currently, there is no known material that comes close to the properties of Unobtanium. Scientists are constantly researching and developing new materials, but none have reached the level of strength and durability that Unobtanium is often described as having.