Max Temp of Water Around Heated Square Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a long squared rod with sides ##l##, thermal conductivity ##\lambda ##, specific heat ##c_p## and density ##\rho ##, being cooled by water with constant temperature. Inside the rod is a long square heater with sides ##l/2## that is completely centered. The maximum possible temperature of the surrounding water before the heater starts to melt down is being calculated, with the melting temperature being ##T_c##. The conversation also discusses the equations and solution attempts for solving the problem.
skrat

Homework Statement

A long squared rod with sides ##l##, thermal conductivity ##\lambda ##, specific heat ##c_p## and density ##\rho ## is cooled with water with constant temperature. Inside our squared rod we have a long square heater with sides ##l/2## and is completely centered inside the rod. Heat sources per unit volume in this is equal to ##q [W/m^3]##. (When calculating the temperature, you can use only the biggest three terms of the sum)
What is the maximum possible temperature of the surrounding water , before the heater starts to melt down? Melting temperature is ##T_c##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really not sure this is correct, but at least it is something:
So we have two squares, one with sides ##l## and the other one centered in the first one with sides ##l/2##. I have put the origin of my coordinate system in the left bottom corner of the bigger square. This may not be a really good idea but there is a good reason why I chose this option.

And the reason is, that if the origin is there, than the function that solves ##\nabla ^2T(x,y)=0## is $$T(x,y)=\sum_{n,m}A_{n,m}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$ Of course the equation I am solving is not ##\nabla ^2T=0## instead I have to consider the heater! Therefore ##\nabla ^2 T(x,y)=-\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}##.

Meaning I should write ##\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}## in terms of this sum ##T(x,y)=\sum_{n,m}C_{n,m}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)##, so let's do that: $$\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}\int_{l/4}^{3l/4}\int _{l/4}^{3l/4}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)dxdy=C_{n,m}(\frac l 2)^2$$ Which brings me to $$C=\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}$$ but only for (both) odd ##m## and ##n##.
So finally $$\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}=\sum_{m,n}\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$

Now I can start solving ##\nabla ^2 T(x,y)=-\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}## $$\sum _{m,n}A_{m,n}\frac{\pi ^2}{l^2}(m^2+n^2)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)=-\sum_{m,n}\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$ Which brings me to
$$A_{m,n}=\frac{8qL^2}{\rho c_pD\pi^4}\frac{1}{mn(m^2+n^2)}$$ Therefore the solution should be $$ T(x,y)=\sum_{\text{odd} m,n}\frac{8qL^2}{\rho c_pD\pi^4}\frac{1}{mn(m^2+n^2)}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$

Now to calculate the temperature I think I should do this, but I am really not so sure about this part: $$P=\lambda S\frac{\Delta T}{L/4}$$ where ##P=\int qdV## so $$\int qdV=\lambda S\frac{T_c-T_x}{L/4}$$ where I used notation ##T_x## for the temperature that I hope the problem is asking after...

Hmm. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a contribution, just some questions:
I imagine the rod is solid and the inner rod, same material properties, is the heat source. I would expect from symmetry that it's enough to consider one eigth, e.g. (with the origin at the axis of the rod) from x-axis to the line y=x. x-axis points to the middle of a side, y=x to an edge.
Is that the right idea ?

Heat is generated from x=0 to x=l/4 and the boundary conditions are: T gradient ##\perp## the lines mentioned and T = Twater at x =l/2 .
Sound reasonable ?

BvU said:
This is not a contribution, just some questions:
I imagine the rod is solid and the inner rod, same material properties, is the heat source. I would expect from symmetry that it's enough to consider one eigth, e.g. (with the origin at the axis of the rod) from x-axis to the line y=x. x-axis points to the middle of a side, y=x to an edge.
Is that the right idea ?
I can't see any problems with it. By the way, that is an interesting idea.
BvU said:
Heat is generated from x=0 to x=l/4 and the boundary conditions are: T gradient ##\perp## the lines mentioned and T = Twater at x =l/2 .
Sound reasonable ?
Sounds very reasonable! Hopefully I will have some time left to check if the results match with the original post.

Related to Max Temp of Water Around Heated Square Rod

1. What is the maximum temperature of water around a heated square rod?

The maximum temperature of water around a heated square rod depends on various factors such as the temperature of the heating element, the size and material of the rod, and the volume and flow rate of the water. Generally, the temperature can range from 50-100 degrees Celsius.

2. How does the temperature of the heating element affect the max temperature of water?

The temperature of the heating element directly affects the maximum temperature of water around a heated square rod. A higher temperature of the heating element will result in a higher temperature of the water, while a lower temperature will result in a lower temperature of the water.

3. Can the size and material of the rod impact the max temperature of water?

Yes, the size and material of the rod can impact the maximum temperature of water around a heated square rod. A larger rod will have more surface area to transfer heat to the water, resulting in a higher maximum temperature. Additionally, certain materials may have better heat conductivity, resulting in a higher maximum temperature of the water.

4. How does the volume of water affect the max temperature?

The volume of water has a direct impact on the maximum temperature around a heated square rod. A larger volume of water will take longer to heat up and will have a lower maximum temperature compared to a smaller volume of water. This is because the heat from the rod has to be distributed among a larger volume of water.

5. Is there a specific flow rate of water that will result in the highest max temperature?

The flow rate of water can also impact the maximum temperature around a heated square rod. A slower flow rate will allow more time for the water to heat up, resulting in a higher maximum temperature. However, a higher flow rate can help distribute the heat more evenly, resulting in a more consistent temperature throughout the water.