Max radius of falling liquid drop

In summary, the maximum radius of a falling liquid drop without breaking apart is determined by the equation R=√(σ/gρ), where σ is the surface tension, ρ is the density of the liquid, and g is the gravity. In this problem, we are asked to find the maximum radius in units of cm at 20 degrees Celsius. Although the density has a temperature dependence, it is not mentioned in the problem and may just be there to throw off the reader. It is important to correctly convert units when solving this problem.
bengaltiger14
The max radius a fallling liquid drop can have without breaking apart is given by the equation:

R=√(σ/gρ) where the rho is density of liquid (1000kg/m^3), and the surface tension is
.7275J/m^2. g is gravity

I am asked to determine the max radius of a drop in units of cm at 20 degrees celcius. Is this problem just a plug the values in problem and ignore the temperature? Is the temperature there just to throw me off?

Physics news on Phys.org
bengaltiger14 said:
The max radius a fallling liquid drop can have without breaking apart is given by the equation:

R=√(σ/gρ) where the rho is density of liquid (1000kg/m^3), and the surface tension is
.7275J/m^2. g is gravity

I am asked to determine the max radius of a drop in units of cm at 20 degrees celcius. Is this problem just a plug the values in problem and ignore the temperature? Is the temperature there just to throw me off?

The density σ does have a temperature dependence, but if the σ is a given with no reference to temperature in the problem, I'd have to wonder if the real problem is having you convert units correctly.

(Btw σ of water at 20 degrees is 0.9982071.)

I would say that the temperature is not just there to throw you off, but it is an important factor to consider in this equation. The equation provided is a simplified version and assumes that the temperature is constant. However, in reality, the surface tension of a liquid can vary with temperature, and therefore, it is important to take the temperature into account when calculating the maximum radius of a falling liquid drop without breaking apart. Additionally, the density of the liquid may also change with temperature, so it is important to ensure that the values used in the equation are accurate for the specific temperature given. I would recommend researching the temperature dependence of surface tension and density for the specific liquid in question to get a more accurate result.

Related to Max radius of falling liquid drop

1. What is the max radius of a falling liquid drop?

The maximum radius of a falling liquid drop is dependent on several factors, including the type of liquid, temperature, and surface tension. However, for a spherical water droplet at room temperature, the maximum radius is approximately 5 millimeters.

2. How does the surface tension of a liquid affect its max radius when falling?

Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together and determines its shape. As the surface tension of a liquid increases, the maximum radius of a falling liquid drop decreases. This is because a higher surface tension causes the liquid to form a more compact shape, reducing the maximum radius it can achieve.

3. Can the max radius of a falling liquid drop be altered?

Yes, the maximum radius of a falling liquid drop can be altered by changing the temperature or the surface tension of the liquid. The addition of surfactants, which reduce surface tension, can also increase the maximum radius. Additionally, the shape of the container or surface that the liquid is falling onto can also impact the maximum radius.

4. What is the significance of studying the max radius of falling liquid drops?

Understanding the maximum radius of a falling liquid drop is important in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and food processing. It can also provide insights into the behavior of liquids in different environments, such as raindrops falling from clouds or drops of water falling onto a surface.

5. Are there any practical applications of the max radius of falling liquid drops?

Yes, the knowledge of the maximum radius of falling liquid drops is essential in various industrial processes, such as spray coating, inkjet printing, and aerosol production. It can also be used to optimize the design of equipment or structures that interact with falling liquids, such as rain gutters or fountains.