Max/Min Value of f(x,y) in Range x^2+y^2≤2: Find Max/Min Value of f

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Value
In summary, the highest and lowest value of the function f(x,y)=\frac{6}{x^2+y^2+1}+3xy in the range \frac{1}{3}≤x^2+y^2≤2 is achieved when x = y or x = -y. Further investigation is needed to determine the exact critical points and corresponding values.
Good to know, Petrus!

I would highly recommend that you revisit the suggestion made by chisigma when you get time to see how his suggestion works, and how much simpler it is to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkFL said:
Good to know, Petrus!

I would highly recommend that you revisit the suggestion made by chisigma when you get time to see how his suggestion works, and how much simpler it is to use.
I am looking at his way and some I don't understand but I need to think longer, I Will post if I got any question:)
One more question, can I Also solve this lambda way?:)

Good deal! I think the more methods you can apply, the more you understand how they relate.

And yes, you have an objective function and two separate constraints, but I would get used to referring to that method as using Lagrange multipliers. (Wink)(Happy)

It just happens to traditionally use the Greek letter lambda $\lambda$.

chisigma said:
The problem is greatly simplified if You divide the function by 3 and the convert it in polar coordinates setting $\displaystyle x= \rho\ \cos \theta$ and $y = \rho\ \sin \theta$ so that You have to maximize/minimize the function...

$\displaystyle f(\rho, \theta)= \frac{2}{1+\rho^{2}} + \rho^{2}\ \sin \theta\ \cos \theta$ (1)

... with the condition...

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \le \rho^{2} \le 2$ (2)

First we compute the partial derivatives...

$\displaystyle f_{\rho}(\rho, \theta)= \frac{4\ \rho}{(1+\rho^{2})^{2}}+ 2\ \rho\ \sin \theta\ \cos \theta$

$\displaystyle f_{\theta} (\rho,\theta)= \rho^{2}\ (\cos^{2} \theta- \sin^{2} \theta)$ (3)

... and we observe that $f_{\theta}(*,*)$ vanishes for $\displaystyle \sin \theta = \pm \cos \theta = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$, so that we arrive at the two equation in $\rho$...

$\displaystyle \frac{4}{(1+\rho^{2})^{2}} - 1 =0$ (4)

$\displaystyle \frac{4}{(1+\rho^{2})^{2}} + 1 =0$ (5)

The (5) has no real solutions and the only real positive solution of (4) is $\displaystyle \rho=1$, intenal os the annulus $\displaystyle \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \le \rho \le \sqrt{2}$ so that the point of minima or maxima are for $\displaystyle \rho=1$ and $\displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}{4},\ \frac{3}{4}\ \pi,\ \frac{5}{4}\ \pi,\ \frac{7}{4}\ \pi$. Further detail are left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
So this is what I understand or don't understand:
I do understand that you turn it to polar coordinates.
I do understand that we subsitate \(\displaystyle y^2+x^2 <=>p^2\cos^2\theta+p^2\sin^2 \theta \) so we get \(\displaystyle p^2\cos^2\theta+p^2\sin^2 \theta <=> p^2(\cos^2 \theta+\sin^2\theta) <=> p^2(1)\)
when I derivate \(\displaystyle f_p\) I get same result but when I derivate \(\displaystyle f_{\theta}\) So what do I get? Here is how I do:
we can ignore that left side because it don't have any \(\displaystyle \theta\) in it so we want to focus on \(\displaystyle \rho^{2}\ \sin \theta\ \cos {\theta} \) well \(\displaystyle p^2\) is a constant so we can ignore it and only focus in \(\displaystyle \sin \theta\ \cos {\theta}\). We got a function multiplicate with a function that means we will use product rule. so I get \(\displaystyle -\cos \theta \cos\theta+sin\theta \sin\theta\) We can rewrite it nicer with \(\displaystyle \sin^2\theta-\cos^2\theta\) and we can't forget our constant \(\displaystyle p^2\) so the result is
\(\displaystyle f_{\theta} (\rho,\theta)=p^2(\sin^2\theta-\cos^2\theta)\)
and those part after I don't understand.