Max & Min Frequencies from Tuning Fork Revolution

In summary, the person swinging the tuning fork will hear a frequency of 512 Hz when the radius of the circle is 1.0 m and 3.0 rev/s. The highest frequency the second person hears is at the middle of the rotation, while the lowest frequency they hear is at the end.
kiaguilar

Homework Statement

A tunning fork with frequency f = 512 Hz is held by someone who swings it vigurously in a circle in the horizontal plane. The radius of the circle is 1.0 m, and the frequency of revolution is 3.0 rev/s. (a) What are the max and the min frequencies that a second person would hear? (b) What part of the rotation corresponds to the highest frequency the second person hears, and which part corresponds to the lowest?

Homework Equations

1 rev/s = 60 rpm

1 RPM = 0.01666666667 Hz

w = 2*pi*f

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to treat this problem! I mean I cannot get the idea for relating this problem with waves and sound equations! Can you help me? Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
You should familiarize yourself with the Doppler Effect and related equations before re-attempting this problem.

Have you studied the doppler effect?

I think this question is in a funny order, wouldn't you first find the points of max/min shift then find what the shift is there?

lewando said:
You should familiarize yourself with the Doppler Effect and related equations before re-attempting this problem.

Disconnected said:
Have you studied the doppler effect?

I think this question is in a funny order, wouldn't you first find the points of max/min shift then find what the shift is there?

Hi guys thank you for the hint!

I already solved the problem with Doppler effect eq. but I still cannot get where is the second person. I mean is he at 1m away from the one who is holding the fork?

Thank you so much

It doesn't matter where he is. No matter where he happens to be, the tuning fork will always be moving directly towards him at some point in its revolution, and directly away from him at some other point.

ideasrule said:
It doesn't matter where he is. No matter where he happens to be, the tuning fork will always be moving directly towards him at some point in its revolution, and directly away from him at some other point.

Yes you're right!

Thank you so much!

Related to Max & Min Frequencies from Tuning Fork Revolution

What is the purpose of finding the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution?

The purpose of finding the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution is to determine the range of frequencies that the tuning fork can produce. This information is important for calibrating and using the tuning fork in various scientific and technological applications.

How are the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution measured?

The max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution are usually measured using a frequency counter or a frequency analyzer. These instruments are able to accurately measure the frequency of the tuning fork's vibrations and determine the maximum and minimum values.

What factors can affect the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution?

Several factors can affect the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution, including the material and shape of the tuning fork, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and any external forces applied to the tuning fork during its vibrations.

How can the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution be used in practical applications?

The max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution can be used in various practical applications, such as calibrating musical instruments, measuring the frequency of sound waves, and testing the accuracy of electronic equipment. They are also used in scientific research and experiments involving resonance and vibrations.

Is there a specific method for finding the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution?

Yes, there are specific methods for finding the max and min frequencies from tuning fork revolution. These methods involve using a frequency counter or analyzer, adjusting the tuning fork's tension or weight, and carefully recording and analyzing the frequencies produced. The exact method may vary depending on the specific tuning fork and the purpose of the measurement.