Max Height of Water in a Container with 0.1mm Hole: Solving h

In summary: The lab exercise becomes a test of patience and thoroughness. I'm not changing my comments --- the lab exercises are designed to get "perfect" wetting.In summary, a container has a round hole at the bottom with a diameter of 0.1 mm. When filled with water, the maximum height it can be filled without leakage is h/10. To find h, one must set the weight of the water on the hole equal to the force of surface tension. Solving for h leads to an incorrect answer of 6, indicating that the force of surface tension is not equal to 2*(T*2*pi*r) as originally thought. Instead, the force of surface tension acts normal to the surface and is equal
erisedk

Homework Statement

A container has a round hole at the bottom. The diameter of the hole is 0.1 mm. The container is filled with water. The maximum height (in m) up to which whiter can be filled without leakage is h/10. Find h.
Surface tension= 75 * 10^-3 N/m

Homework Equations

Pgh*A=F(of surface tension)

The Attempt at a Solution

Weight of water on the hole should equal force of surface tension.
Pgh*pi*r^2=T*2*2*pi*r

solving for h, I get h=6. However, the answer is 3. Does this mean that force of surface tension is not equal to 2*(T*2*pi*r) and instead is just equal to (T*2*pi*r)? However, isn't force of surface tension T*two times the length in contact??

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

A container has a round hole at the bottom. The diameter of the hole is 0.1 mm. The container is filled with water. The maximum height (in m) up to which whiter can be filled without leakage is h/10. Find h.
Surface tension= 75 * 10^-3 N/m

Homework Equations

Pgh*A=F(of surface tension)

The Attempt at a Solution

Weight of water on the hole should equal force of surface tension.
Pgh*pi*r^2=T*2*2*pi*r

solving for h, I get h=6. However, the answer is 3. Does this mean that force of surface tension is not equal to 2*(T*2*pi*r) and instead is just equal to (T*2*pi*r)? However, isn't force of surface tension T*two times the length in contact??
Only if it is a bubble, which has two surfaces. The drop has only one surface, so there is no 2.

Chet

Oh ok! Thanks :D

Sorry for chiming in here late, but if ##\rho g h A = F_{ST}## it appears that surface tension always acts normal to the surface under study? Is this true?

joshmccraney said:
surface tension always acts normal to the surface
That's one guess. There's only one other possibility.

Bystander said:
That's one guess. There's only one other possibility.
haha okay, so I'm wrong then?

Have you read the threads shown in the search?

yea, i have read some of them but have been busy. i can check more out, though.

I don't think I've been lazy here, I'm just waiting for confirmation. See, I have ##A = xy## and ##g = z / s^2## and ##h = z## and ##\rho = kg / xyz##. this implies $$\frac{[kg] [x] [y] [z^2]}{[s^2] [x][y][z]} = \frac{[kg][ z]}{[s^2]}$$ hence the ##z## remains. It then seems that the surface tension force is normal to the surface. However, since surface tension is force per unit length, I'm confused if the length is ##x## or ##y##, since, in this example, the two are symmetric.

joshmccraney said:
ρghA=F ST
This describes the balance of forces for a capillary rise experiment which is one method used to determine surface tension. Which directions do the forces act in the case of capillary rise?

I edited my response, I'm not sure if the edit went through in time for your response. And I'm not sure about directions for capillary rise. Could you elaborate, or help me understand?

joshmccraney said:
Sorry for chiming in here late, but if ##\rho g h A = F_{ST}## it appears that surface tension always acts normal to the surface under study? Is this true?
The right hand side of this equation should be a length times the surface tension. Think of surface tension as a membrane stretched over the surface. The tension per unit length within the membrane is the surface tension.

Chet

If you immerse one end of a capillary (think soda straw) in a container of some liquid you will for most cases observe a difference between the height of the meniscus formed by the liquid in the capillary and the surface of the liquid in the container. That difference is due to the surface tension of the liquid as it either wets or does not wet the interior surface of the capillary. Got that pictured?

Bystander, I can picture that.

And Chet, it sounds like there is never a preferred direction, but that surface tension is in the direction to deflect a perturbation within a fluid?

joshmccraney said:
Bystander, I can picture that.

And Chet, it sounds like there is never a preferred direction, but that surface tension is in the direction to deflect a perturbation within a fluid?
If I inderstand correctly, yes.

Likes member 428835
Thanks Chet!

joshmccraney said:
surface tension is in the direction to deflect a perturbation within a fluid?
Not sure what you mean by that. At a boundary, it acts within its surface, normal to the boundary with the other surface.
Bystander said:
If you immerse one end of a capillary (think soda straw) in a container of some liquid you will for most cases observe a difference between the height of the meniscus formed by the liquid in the capillary and the surface of the liquid in the container.
By height of meniscus, are you referring to the level of the meniscus in the tube above the liquid outside the tube, or (entirely within the tube) the level of the line of contact with the tube above the level of the surface in the middle of the tube?
If the second, I believe it is not so much to with the air/liquid surface tension as to do with how the cohesive forces within the liquid compare with the adhesive forces between liquid and tube.

haruspex said:
compare with the adhesive forces between liquid and tube.
"Wetting" and contact angles? Nah, let's not go there --- reasonably well designed lab exercises drag students through everything short of piranha solution to clean their capillaries well enough to get "perfect" wetting and a zero contact angle --- which reduces to air-liquid interface tension.

Related to Max Height of Water in a Container with 0.1mm Hole: Solving h

1. What is the equation for calculating the maximum height of water in a container with a 0.1mm hole?

The equation for calculating the maximum height of water in a container with a 0.1mm hole is h = 2σ/ρg, where h is the maximum height, σ is the surface tension of water, ρ is the density of water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the size of the hole affect the maximum height of water in the container?

The size of the hole does not affect the maximum height of water in the container. The equation for calculating the maximum height is independent of the hole size and only depends on the surface tension and density of water.

3. What are the units for the variables in the equation for maximum height of water?

The units for the variables in the equation are as follows: h (maximum height) is measured in meters (m), σ (surface tension) is measured in Newtons per meter (N/m), ρ (density) is measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3), and g (acceleration due to gravity) is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does the temperature of the water affect the maximum height in the container?

The temperature of the water does not have a significant effect on the maximum height in the container. The equation for calculating the maximum height assumes that the water is at room temperature (around 20°C). However, if the temperature of the water is significantly higher or lower, it may affect the surface tension and density of water, which could impact the maximum height calculation.

5. Can the maximum height of water in the container be greater than the height of the container itself?

No, the maximum height of water in the container cannot be greater than the height of the container itself. This is because the calculation assumes that the water is in a closed container with a small hole at the bottom, and the maximum height is limited by the surface tension and density of water. If the container is taller, the water will not be able to reach a height higher than the container.