Max Fault Current XFMR- quickly if possible

In summary, the transformer is a 30MVA, 132kV:22kV with a star/delta configuration and a floating star neutral. The reactance is 8% and resistance is 0.5% on the 30MVA base. The max line current on the LV delta side is 1.102kA and on the star side is 6.612kA, taking into account the turns ratio and change in voltage and power factor.
Fisher92
Hi, I have a power systems protection assignment and I wanted to get some simple calcs verified.

XFMR - 30MVA, 132kV:22kV; Star/Delta respectively. star neutral is floating, not that it matters for this part.

reactance is 8% and resistance is 0.5% on the 30MVA base.

Basically I am trying to choose CT's and I don't want them saturated so I need the max line current (obviously the XFMR will trip on OC so I need max current up to 140%30MVA = 42MVA)

I have: [tex] I= \frac{42MVA}{\sqrt{3}*22kv} = 1.102kA [/tex] on the LV delta side. I'm not sure if this is correct though? why have the specified the transformer impedance?
I also need the max line current on the star side for diff protection but I think that that should just be reduced by the turns ration,,,, may have to account for the star delta configuration?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculation for the maximum line current on the LV delta side is correct. For the maximum line current on the star side, you can use the turns ratio and the delta side line current to calculate it. The turns ratio is 132kV/22kV = 6, so the maximum line current on the star side is 6 times the delta side line current, which is 6.612 kA. However, the star side voltage is higher than the delta side voltage, so you will need to account for the change in voltage and power factor when calculating the actual current draw of the transformer.

Related to Max Fault Current XFMR- quickly if possible

1. What is a Max Fault Current XFMR?

A Max Fault Current XFMR, also known as a Maximum Fault Current Transformer, is a type of transformer that is specifically designed to handle high levels of fault current. This means that it is able to withstand and safely distribute large amounts of electrical current in the event of a fault or short circuit in the electrical system.

2. How quickly can a Max Fault Current XFMR respond to a fault?

The response time of a Max Fault Current XFMR depends on several factors, including the type and size of the transformer, the level of fault current, and the design of the electrical system. However, in general, these transformers are designed to respond quickly in order to protect the system from damage and maintain safe operation.

3. What are the benefits of using a Max Fault Current XFMR?

There are several benefits to using a Max Fault Current XFMR. First, it ensures the safety of the electrical system by quickly responding to faults and preventing damage. It also helps to minimize downtime and disruptions in power supply. Additionally, these transformers can help to extend the lifespan of other electrical equipment by preventing damage from high levels of fault current.

4. How do I choose the right Max Fault Current XFMR for my system?

Choosing the right Max Fault Current XFMR for your system involves considering several factors, such as the level of fault current in your system, the voltage and frequency requirements, and the size and type of transformer needed. It is important to consult with a qualified electrical engineer to determine the best option for your specific system.

5. Can a Max Fault Current XFMR be installed in any electrical system?

While Max Fault Current XFMRS are designed to handle high levels of fault current, they may not be suitable for every electrical system. It is important to consult with a qualified electrical engineer to ensure that the transformer is compatible with your system and meets all necessary safety and regulatory standards.