Max Energy Λ in Σ0 Decay: Explained & Calculated

In summary: I am really grateful for you time and help.In summary, the problem involves a Σ0 baryon decaying electromagnetically into a Λ and a photon. The question is what condition results in the Λ carrying the maximum possible energy after the decay, and to sketch how the decay appears and calculate this energy. Using relativistic kinematic equations and the CoM invariant mass, it was found that the maximum energy for the Λ occurs when the photon and Λ are traveling in opposite directions in the rest frame of the decaying Σ0. This condition gives the energy of the Λ as E_Λ = m_Σ0 - m_Λ, where m_Σ0 and m_
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

A Σ0 baryon, traveling with an energy of 2 GeV, decays electromagnetically into a Λ and a photon.
What condition results in the Λ carrying the maximum possible energy after the decay? Sketch how the decay appears in this case, and calculate this energy. Explain your reasoning.
[Mass of Σ0 is 1.193 GeV/c2; mass of Λ is 1.116 GeV/c2]

Homework Equations

Relativistic kinematic equations;
CoM invariant mass

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am not sure on the condition for maximum energy of the Λ, is it when the photon is traveling with opposite momenta?
because the photon is a mass less particle it couldn't have 0 velocity right?

Physics news on Phys.org
What energy will the ##\Lambda## have in the rest frame of the ##\Sigma##?

So in the rest frame of the ##\Sigma##
The energy would be
$$E_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma^o}+p_{photon}c$$
Right?
Because if The ##\Sigma## decays at rest then the momenta of the ##\Lambda## and photon will be equal and opposite.

Last edited:
What does energy and momentum conservation tell you?

If we are looking at the rest frame of the ##\Sigma## energy conservation gave me tee equation above and doesn't momentum conservation just tell me that;
$$0=p_{photon}-p_{\Lambda}$$
$$p_{photon}=p_{\Lambda}$$

Last edited:
I was wondering should use that $$W^2=(\sum E)^2-(\sum p)^2$$
for both the lab frame of the ##\Sigma## and then the center of mass frame after the decay?

which gives
$$(E_{\Sigma^o})^2-(p_{\Sigma^o})^2=(E_{\Lambda}+E_{photon})^2-(p_{\Lambda}-p_{photon})^2$$

Last edited:
Im not quite sure what the condition is to give the ##\Lambda## max energy.

What does ##(E_{\Sigma^o})^2-(p_{\Sigma^o})^2## evaluate to? What is the relation between the ##\Lambda## and photon energies and momenta?

So ##E_{\Sigma}^2-p_{\Sigma}^2=m_{\Sigma}^2##, as for the second question I'm not sure.

How about what you just wrote down, but for the ##\Lambda## and for the photon instead?

Matt atkinson said:
If we are looking at the rest frame of the Σ\Sigma energy conservation gave me tee equation above

Your formula for energy conservation is a bit off and you should correct it.

So for the photon and ##\Lambda##
$$(E_{\Lambda}+E_{photon})^2-(p_{\Lambda}+p_{photon})^2$$
And the Energy conservation should be ##E_{\Sigma}=E_{\Lambda}+p_{photon}c##
Right? And expanding the relation before you get;
$$E_{\Lambda}^2+p_{photon}^2+2E_{\Lambda}p_{photon} - p_{\lambda}^2-p_{photon}^2 -2p_{photon}p_{\Lambda}$$?

Last edited:
I suggest starting from just the conservation equations without squaring. The only interesting thing at the moment being: What is the energy of the ##\Lambda## in the rest frame of the decaying ##\Sigma##?

So to consider the problem with the entire problem with everything in the rest frame of ##\Sigma^0##?
In which case if the energy of the ##\Lambda## is;
$$E_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma^0}-E_{photon}$$
and The momentum would be;
$$p_{\Sigma^0}=p_{\Lambda}+p_{photon}=0$$
Therefore;
$$p_{\Lambda}=-p_{photon}$$
Which would give;
$$E_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma^0}-p_{photon}=E_{\Sigma^0}+p_{\Lambda}$$
because photon has E=pc, so;
$$E_{\Lambda}-p_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma}$$
is that correct?
And does this mean that the condition for maximum energy is, to consider the ##\Lambda## in the rest frame with the electron traveling in the opposite direction?

Last edited:
I just don't understand where the ##2GeV## energy of the ##\Sigma## comes into it if, we are looking at the rest frame because in that frame it has 0 momentum and ##E_{\Sigma}=mc^2##

Matt atkinson said:
So to consider the problem with the entire problem with everything in the rest frame of ##\Sigma^0##?
In which case if the energy of the ##\Lambda## is;
$$E_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma^0}-E_{photon}$$
and The momentum would be;
$$p_{\Sigma^0}=p_{\Lambda}+p_{photon}=0$$
Therefore;
$$p_{\Lambda}=-p_{photon}$$
This equation tells you that the ##\Lambda## and the photon have equal and opposite momenta.

Which would give;
$$E_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma^0}-p_{photon}=E_{\Sigma^0}+p_{\Lambda}$$
because photon has E=pc, so;
$$E_{\Lambda}-p_{\Lambda}=E_{\Sigma}$$
is that correct?
The signs are probably going to mess you up here. You should keep in mind that momentum is a vector, so it's really ##E_\gamma = \lvert p_\gamma \rvert## for the photon.

You need to somehow get rid of ##E_\gamma##, ##p_\gamma##, and ##p_\Lambda## because they're all unknowns. You want to solve for ##E_\Lambda## in terms of the masses of the ##\Lambda^0## and ##\Sigma^0##.
And does this mean that the condition for maximum energy is, to consider the ##\Lambda## in the rest frame with the electron traveling in the opposite direction?
I think you meant photon, not electron. As you found above, conservation of momentum requires that the ##\Lambda^0## and photon go in opposite directions in the rest frame, so no, it's not the condition for maximum energy.

As Orodruin has suggested, first solve for the energy of the ##\Lambda^0## in the rest frame of the ##\Sigma^0##. This may help give you insight into what the maximum energy condition is.

Ah sorry yes I did mean photon not electron.
So when I'm using the fact that the photon has no mass, it should be [itex]E_{\gamma}=|p_{\gamma}|[/itex] because ##E_{\gamma}^2=p_{\gamma}^2+0^2##, and as you said momentum is a vector so the energy isn't, so the energy is just the magnitude of the momentum vector.
Thank you both so much for your help, I managed to get the solution after a lot of work.

Related to Max Energy Λ in Σ0 Decay: Explained & Calculated

1. What is Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay?

Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay is a scientific concept that describes the maximum amount of energy released during the decay of a Λ particle into a Σ0 particle. This phenomenon occurs in subatomic particles, specifically in the decay of baryons.

2. How is Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay calculated?

The calculation of Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay involves using various physical constants and equations, such as the weak decay constant and the energy-momentum relation. It also takes into account the masses of the particles involved in the decay process.

3. What is the significance of studying Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay?

Studying Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of subatomic particles and the behavior of the weak nuclear force. It can also help in understanding the dynamics of particle interactions and the fundamental laws of physics.

4. How is Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay observed in experiments?

Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay can be observed in experiments by measuring the energies of the particles involved before and after the decay process. This can be done using particle detectors and other sophisticated equipment.

5. Are there any practical applications of Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay?

While the study of Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay has primarily theoretical implications, it has also been used in the development of advanced technologies such as medical imaging techniques and particle accelerators. These applications rely on an understanding of particle physics and the principles behind Max Energy Λ and Σ0 Decay.