Proof using epsilons and deltas.

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
For example, if e = 0.01, then d = 0.002.In summary, for any given epsilon, there exists a corresponding delta (d) = epsilon/5 such that if |x - (-1)| < d, then |10/(3 + x) - 5| < epsilon. This shows that the limit of the function as x approaches -1 is 5, based on the definition of epsilon and delta.
gigi9
Can anyone please show me how to prove the problem below using epsilons and deltas. Thanks a lot...I'm so stuck...
I got through this step: /(-5x-5)/(3+x)/ < Epsilon, and don't know where to go from there. Plz help me out, thanks very much for ur valuable time.
***Prove, using epsilons and deltas, that the limit as x approaches (-1) of the function f(x) = 10/(3 + x) is 5. (Can you think of a pedagogical reason for that change?) Hint: you'll have to fiddle around and you'll probably have to finally choose your delta to be the smaller of two numbers.****

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find a d>0 such that if |x+1|<d then |f(x)-5|<e
You have been given an epsilon, you must show that there exists some d>0 corresponding to this epsilon (and for all epsilons).

So, you must find some sort of relation between e and d. Given this value of e, where must x lie? If you factor -5 from |-5x-5| you get |-5(x+1)|=5|x+1|. Try solving for |x+1|. Bear in mind that you want |x+1|<d.

A Steven Privatera noted, you want |f(x)-5|< epsilon and you have already reduced that to |(-5x-5)/(3+x)|< epsilon which is, of course, the same as 5|x-(-1)|/|3+x|< epsilon. That is the same as
|x-(-1)|< (epsilon/5)|3+x|. The problem is that you need a constant on the right, not something that depends on x!

Okay: you know you want x close to -1. Let's for the moment assume that |x+1|< 1 (just because 1 happens to be easy to work with).

-1< x+1< 1 so -1+ 2<x+1+ 2< 1+2 or 1< |x+3|< 3. Since 1< |x+3|,
(epsilon/5)< (epsilon/5)|3+x|. (Notice the direction of the inequality.) So if we take |x-(-1)| less than the SMALLER of epsilon/5 AND 1, we have both |x+1|< epsilon/5 and epsilon/5< (epsilon/5)|3+x| so |x+1|< (epsilon/5||x+3| and you can work backwards to get 5|x+1|/|x+3|= |10/(3 + x)-5|< epsilon which is what you want.

I think that you might want to show that the change in f(x) approaches zero as the change in x approaches zero. That way, the function won't do anything wild or crazy around the point at which we are calculating the limit, and will approach its calculated value in a smooth manner. To me that shows that the limit of the function as x approaches any value is the function of the value itself...

show that f(x+dx) - f(x) [the change in f(x)] is zero for dx = 0:

f(x) = 10 / (3 - x)
f(x+dx) = 10 / (3 - (x+dx))
f(x+dx) - f(x) = (10 / (3 - (x+dx))) - (10 / (3 - x))

(make common denominator):

= ((10 * (3 - x)) / (3 - (x+dx)) * (3 - x)) -
(10 * (3 - (x+dx)) / (3 - x) * (3 - (x+dx))

= ((10 * (3 - x)) - (10 * (3 - (x+dx)) /
((3 - x) * (3 - (x+dx)))
(extend all the terms):

=(30 - 10x - 30 + 10x + 10dx) /
(9 - 3x -3x - 3dx + x*x - xdx)

=10dx / (9 - 6x -3dx + x*x - xdx)

(add (3-x)dx to top & bottom):

=10dx / (9 - 6x + x*x - (3-x)dx)

=(10dx + (3-x)dx) / (9 - 6x + x*x)

=((10 + (3-x))dx) / (9 - 6x + x*x). Now, since dx is a factor in the numerator, and is eliminated from the denominator, I say that proves this expression, which is the change in f(x) corresponding to a change in x, goes to zero as dx goes to zero. I hope this helps. I'm not sure what an epsilon is; I think the delta is my dx.
-Eric

the request was to use the epsilon delta definition of limit and not infinitesimals.

Hello, gigi9!

I have an answer.
(But am I oversimplifying the problem?)

We have: |10/(3 + x) - 5| < e
or: |(-5x - 5)(3 + x)| < e

and: |x - (-1)| < d
or: |x + 1| < d

The epsilon statement becomes:
|(-5)(x + 1)|/(3 + x)| < e
|-5||x + 1|/|3 + x| < e
5|x + 1|/|3 + x| < e

If x is "close" to -1, then (3 + x) is "close" to +2.
Then we have: 5|x + 1| < e/(3 + x) < e
or: |x + 1| < e/5

I believe we can use: d = e/5

What is the concept of proof using epsilons and deltas?

The concept of proof using epsilons and deltas is a common technique used in mathematical analysis to formally prove the continuity, convergence, and limits of functions. It involves using the concepts of epsilon and delta to establish the existence of a defined limit or continuity at a specific point.

What is the role of epsilon and delta in this type of proof?

Epsilon and delta are used as variables in mathematical analysis to represent a small positive number (epsilon) and a small positive distance (delta). They are used to define the limit or continuity of a function by establishing a relationship between the two variables.

What is the general process of proof using epsilons and deltas?

The general process of proof using epsilons and deltas involves setting up a mathematical statement using the variables epsilon and delta to represent the limit or continuity of a function. Then, using algebraic manipulation and logical reasoning, the statement is simplified until the desired conclusion is reached.

What are the common challenges encountered in proof using epsilons and deltas?

Some common challenges encountered in proof using epsilons and deltas include determining the appropriate value for epsilon and delta, ensuring that the statement is logically sound, and dealing with complex or non-standard functions.

Why is proof using epsilons and deltas an important concept in mathematics?

Proof using epsilons and deltas is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for the rigorous and formal proof of the continuity, convergence, and limits of functions. It is also the basis for many other important mathematical concepts, such as the definition of a derivative and the fundamental theorem of calculus.