Cognitive Science: Lecture Notes for a First Course

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation is about a shared interest in cognitive science and the exchange of resources for further learning. The participants discuss lecture notes, articles, and a book recommendation related to the subject. One person is having trouble accessing the lecture notes, but the others provide alternative resources for them to check out.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since encountering the likes of Psychodelirium and DT Strain at PF, I have been itching to learn more about how the brain works. Here are some lecture notes for a first course in cognitive science.

Let's discuss.

http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/teaching/modules/ics/lnotes.html

Biology news on Phys.org
I too am very interested in this subject Tom. I read over a few of the lecture notes, and when I have a little more time I'll post a few things myself.

interest in cognitive science? finnaly i can be of use.
i'm at work right now, writing a paper on mathematical cognition, but when i get some free time i'll find some interesting articles.

I've got plenty of acticles on all sorts of things.

here's some stuff,

http://www.mpg.de/news02/news0202.htm

[Removed Broken Link]

[Removed Broken Link]

oh and there's a ton of good stuff at cognet.mit.edu. you may have to subscribe to it, but if you're a student then your school probably has one and you should be able to get to it.
MIT press publishes a lot of cognitive neuroscience books and you can read some of them there.

Last edited by a moderator:
My PDF reader isn't working for some reason, so I'm not sure what you're looking at. But for more cogsci stuff, see also

[Removed Broken Link]
[Removed Broken Link]

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest anyone who's interested in cognitive science read Marvin Minsky's, The Society of Mind. It's an easy read because it's written as two hundred, one-page essays on different aspects of cognitive science that provide a good introduction to the subject and when put together present Minsky's own ideas.

BTW, here's a link to various philosophy radio programs (interviews and such), some of which are Philosophy of Mind programs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/philosophyradio/

Originally posted by Tom
Since encountering the likes of Psychodelirium and DT Strain at PF, I have been itching to learn more about how the brain works. Here are some lecture notes for a first course in cognitive science.

Let's discuss.

http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/teaching/modules/ics/lnotes.html

Um, I could be of fair use. But, is it just me or did the notes not work? I had several blank pages come up, and of all things, quotation marks everywhere. (i guess its my bad luck, that I usually have with computers)

1. What is cognitive science?

Cognitive science is a multidisciplinary field that studies the mind and its processes, including perception, attention, memory, language, decision making, and problem solving. It incorporates insights and methods from psychology, neuroscience, computer science, linguistics, and philosophy to understand how the mind works.

2. What topics are typically covered in a first course on cognitive science?

A first course on cognitive science typically covers topics such as perception, attention, memory, language, decision making, and problem solving. It may also include discussions on the history of cognitive science, research methods, and current debates in the field.

3. How is cognitive science different from neuroscience?

Cognitive science focuses on the study of the mind and its processes, while neuroscience focuses on the study of the brain and its functions. While there is overlap between the two fields, cognitive science takes a more interdisciplinary approach, drawing from various disciplines to understand the mind.

4. What are some practical applications of cognitive science?

Cognitive science has many practical applications, including improving education, designing user-friendly technology, developing effective communication strategies, and understanding and treating mental health disorders. It also has implications for fields such as marketing, law, and artificial intelligence.

5. Is cognitive science a growing field?

Yes, cognitive science is a rapidly growing field as advancements in technology and research methods allow for deeper insights into the mind and its processes. It is an interdisciplinary field that continues to evolve and expand, making it an exciting and dynamic area of study.