Max and min values -- Finding them in a data set

In summary, the best mathematical way to calculate the max and min values for collected data is to use the functions ##M := \max\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}## and ##m := \min\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}##. However, the specific method may depend on factors such as the source and description of the data, the ordering of the data, and the presence of uncertainties. Other options include using Excel functions or writing a program with an algorithm to find the min and max.
Amany Gouda
I have some data collected from experiment and I want to calculate the max and min values for this data.
Please note that these data not a result of function.
What is the best mathematical way to get the max and min without just picking them by directly observation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Amany Gouda said:
I have some data collected from experiment and I want to calculate the max and min values for this data.
Please note that these data not a result of function.
What is the best mathematical way to get the max and min without just picking them by directly observation.
What do you mean by "have" and what by "get"?

You ask specifically of a mathematical way. So here it is, but you might be disappointed:
Let ##\mathcal{D}## denote the set of collected data. (This mathematically means: have.)
Then ##M := \max\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}## and ##m := \min\{d\,\vert \, d \in \mathcal{D}\}## denotes the maximum and minimum. (This mathematically means "get").

Maybe you see the difficulties with your question:
  • Where are the data taken from? ##\mathcal{D} \subseteq## ?
  • How is ##\mathcal{D}## described, i.e. is it a list, a graphic or whatever is it?
  • Are there finitely many of them? ##|\mathcal{D}| < \infty## ?
  • What is the ordering on ##\mathcal{D}## ?
  • Are there eventually algorithms to determine ##M## and ##m## ?
  • Can a order be achieved while reading the data?
  • Is it sufficient to calculate upper and lower bounds for ##M,m## ?
  • Are there uncertainties to the data?
All these questions might depend on your experiment or might not. As long we don't know any answers to those, the formal definition of ##\mathcal{D}\; , \;M\; , \;m## above is your answer.

Last edited:
Amany Gouda said:

Do you know how to use Excel? It has min and max functions. Or do you want to write a program and are looking for an algorithm to find the min and max?

Related to Max and min values -- Finding them in a data set

1. What are max and min values?

Max and min values refer to the maximum and minimum values in a data set, respectively. These values are used to determine the range of the data, or the difference between the highest and lowest values in the set.

2. How do I find the max and min values in a data set?

To find the max and min values, you can sort the data in ascending or descending order and then identify the first and last values in the set. Alternatively, you can use a statistical software or calculator to calculate these values automatically.

3. Why is it important to find the max and min values in a data set?

Finding the max and min values can provide important insights into the distribution of the data. It can also help identify any outliers or extreme values that may affect the overall analysis of the data.

4. Can there be more than one max or min value in a data set?

Yes, there can be multiple max or min values in a data set if there are multiple instances of the same highest or lowest value. This is common in data sets with a large number of data points.

5. How do outliers affect the max and min values?

Outliers, or extreme values, can significantly impact the max and min values in a data set. They can skew the distribution of the data and cause the max and min values to be larger or smaller than they would be without the outliers. It is important to identify and properly handle outliers in order to accurately determine the max and min values.