Max and min value, multi variable (open sets)

In summary: I did forget about that when I dividedYes, there is a first quadrant solution, but there is another...think of the periodicity of the tangent function.and second, so first and second :)?No, the period of the tangent function is $\pi$ units, i.e., $\tan(\theta+k\pi)=\tan(\theta)$. To stay within the given domain of $t$, we let $k=1$, so we will add $\pi$ radians to the first quadrant solution to find we are in which...second quadrant.
Yes, we actually gain a critical point to check that we did not get from the parametrization of the boundary...but does this affect the absolute extrema values?

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkFL said:
Yes, we actually gain a critical point to check that we did not get from the parametrization of the boundary...but does this affect the absolute extrema values?
I do not know? I Should check all critical point so yes?

As a recap, what are all of the critical points you have collected so far, and what is the function's value at these points?

MarkFL said:
As a recap, what are all of the critical points you have collected so far, and what is the function's value at these points?
The crit point when we subsitate x. But the point is you can't divide by zero so when we did calculate that 3,-3 we say that the bottom of division is zero..?
\(\displaystyle f(3,11)\),\(\displaystyle f(3,23)\)

The derivative is undefined for $x^2=3^2$, but the original function is not. Recall that critical values come from places where the derivative is zero or undefined.

You should have the critical point in the interior (1,2), and the points on the boundary:

\(\displaystyle \left(\pm\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}},\pm\frac{6}{\sqrt{5}} \right),\,(\pm3,0)\)

So, you want to evaluate the original function at these 5 points...

MarkFL said:
The derivative is undefined for $x^2=3^2$, but the original function is not. Recall that critical values come from places where the derivative is zero or undefined.

You should have the critical point in the interior (1,2), and the points on the boundary:

\(\displaystyle \left(\pm\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}},\pm\frac{6}{\sqrt{5}} \right),\,(\pm3,0)\)

So, you want to evaluate the original function at these 5 points...
Yeah my bad I forgot that we did subsitute for y. One question what did you mean with interior (1,2)

Ok for Lama way.
We got our \(\displaystyle g(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9\)
so..
\(\displaystyle f_x(x,y)=\lambda*g_x(x,y)\)
\(\displaystyle f_y(x,y)-=\lambda*g_y(x,y)\)
And our...
\(\displaystyle g_x(x,y)=2x\)
\(\displaystyle g_y(x,y)=2y\)
so we now got..
\(\displaystyle f_x(x,y)=\lambda*2x\)
\(\displaystyle f_y(x,y)-=\lambda*2y\)
Now I don't know to do but I guess ima subsitute again \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{9-x^2}\) and then equal each to same so I got
\(\displaystyle 2x=2\sqrt(9-x^2}*\)
I am doing correct?

Petrus said:
...One question what did you mean with interior (1,2)

Recall this is the critical point you found in the interior of the circle by equating the first partials to zero.

Petrus said:
Ok for Lama way.
We got our \(\displaystyle g(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9\)
so..
\(\displaystyle f_x(x,y)=\lambda*g_x(x,y)\)
\(\displaystyle f_y(x,y)-=\lambda*g_y(x,y)\)
And our...
\(\displaystyle g_x(x,y)=2x\)
\(\displaystyle g_y(x,y)=2y\)
so we now got..
\(\displaystyle f_x(x,y)=\lambda*2x\)
\(\displaystyle f_y(x,y)-=\lambda*2y\)
Now I don't know to do but I guess ima subsitute again \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{9-x^2}\) and then equal each to same so I got
\(\displaystyle 2x=2\sqrt(9-x^2}*\)
I am doing correct?

Using Lagrange multipliers, you could state $f(x,y)=17-2x-4y$ as the objective function and $g(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9=0$ as the constraint. This gives you the system:

\(\displaystyle -1=\lambda x\)

\(\displaystyle -2=\lambda y\)

What does this imply about the relationship between $x$ and $y$? Solve both for $\lambda$, then equate and simplify. Once you find this, substitute for $y$ in the constraint, and solve for $x$. This will give you two critical points on the boundary.

MarkFL said:
Recall this is the critical point you found in the interior of the circle by equating the first partials to zero.
Using Lagrange multipliers, you could state $f(x,y)=17-2x-4y$ as the objective function and $g(x,y)=x^2+y^2-9=0$ as the constraint. This gives you the system:

What does this imply about the relationship between $x$ and $y$? Solve both for $\lambda$, then equate and simplify. Once you find this, substitute for $y$ in the constraint, and solve for $x$. This will give you two critical points on the boundary.
I get x=9 and x=7

How did you get those values? Without knowing what you did, I don't know what to address.

MarkFL said:

\(\displaystyle \lambda=-\frac{1}{x}\) and \(\displaystyle -\lambda=\frac{2}{y}\)
So we got \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{x}=\frac{2}{y}\) that means \(\displaystyle y=2x\)
then we got \(\displaystyle x^2+4x^2=9\) and that means \(\displaystyle x_1=\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}}\), \(\displaystyle x_2=-\frac{3}{\sqrt{5}}\)
(I want to apologize I did a misstake... I forgot I had y^2 in the constraint... I did calculate with y) Thanks Mark!:) You are a really great person!:)I got better thanks too you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is correct. Notice you have found the same critical points as with the parametrization, and with the substitution for $y$ without the unneeded end-points, and critical points from where the derivative was undefined.

So, what have you found are the absolute extrema? Where do they occur and what values do they have?