Max and min speed around banked curve

In summary, we are trying to find the maximum and minimum velocities for a car to stay on a banked road without skidding sideways. To do this, we need to consider separate cases for when the car would slip up or down the inclined curve. Based on the force diagram, we can determine that the normal force, N, will be opposing the weight component, Wsinθ, for the car to slip up the curve, while Wcosθ will be opposing N for the car to slip down the curve. This leads to the equations N = Wcosθ - f and N = Wsinθ + f. By setting these equations equal to the centripetal force, mv^2/R, we can solve for the maximum and
diablo2121

Homework Statement

A car enters a turn whose radius is R. The road is banked at angle Theta, and the friction coefficient is mu. Find the max and min speeds for the car to stay on the road without skidding sideways.

Homework Equations

W = mg
N = -W
Friction force = f = muN
Centripetal acceleration = ac = v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the force diagram I drew:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9576/0925081412wy0.th.jpg http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

I have the following equations set up:
N = mgcosTheta f = mumgcosTheta W = mg
-W + N + f = 0
NcosTheta - fcosTheta = Fc = ac

So far, I think I've set up the problem correctly, but now I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
diablo2121 said:

Homework Statement

A car enters a turn whose radius is R. The road is banked at angle Theta, and the friction coefficient is mu. Find the max and min speeds for the car to stay on the road without skidding sideways.

Homework Equations

W = mg
N = -W
Friction force = f = muN
Centripetal acceleration = ac = v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the force diagram I drew:

I have the following equations set up:
N = mgcosTheta f = mumgcosTheta W = mg
-W + N + f = 0
NcosTheta - fcosTheta = Fc = ac

So far, I think I've set up the problem correctly, but now I don't know where to go from here.

Examine the cases separately. For instance at the velocity that it would slip up the curve, what must the V be greater than?

Likewise for the case where it would slip down the inclined curve what does the force drawing tell you about how to treat the terms?

If the car were to slip up the curve, then the friction force f, pointing inward, is overcome. Likewise, the car slipping inwards would imply that W is overcoming f, which should be pointing outwards. How do I relate these concepts into my equations?

diablo2121 said:
If the car were to slip up the curve, then the friction force f, pointing inward, is overcome. Likewise, the car slipping inwards would imply that W is overcoming f, which should be pointing outwards. How do I relate these concepts into my equations?

Just write it down. What is the normal force? What force opposes it for it to slip in one direction or the other. What do you do with the weight component that is the sinθ term? What must the velocity be greater or less than for each case?

Related to Max and min speed around banked curve

What is the definition of max and min speed around a banked curve?

The max and min speed around a banked curve refers to the maximum and minimum speeds at which an object can safely travel around a curved track that is banked or tilted at an angle. This is important for understanding the limits of speed that can be safely achieved on a curved track.

How is the max and min speed around a banked curve calculated?

The max and min speed around a banked curve is calculated using the radius of the curve, the angle of banking, and the gravitational force acting on the object. This calculation takes into account the forces acting on the object as it moves around the curve, and helps determine the maximum and minimum speeds at which the object can safely travel.

What factors affect the max and min speed around a banked curve?

The main factors that affect the max and min speed around a banked curve include the angle of banking, the radius of the curve, and the mass and velocity of the object. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role in determining the speed at which an object can safely navigate a banked curve.

Why is understanding max and min speed around a banked curve important?

Understanding the max and min speed around a banked curve is important for ensuring the safety of objects and individuals traveling on curved tracks. It allows engineers and scientists to design and build tracks that can safely accommodate high speeds, and helps drivers and athletes determine the appropriate speeds for navigating these curves.

How does the max and min speed around a banked curve differ from a flat curve?

The max and min speed around a banked curve differs from a flat curve because the banked curve allows for a greater centripetal force to be exerted on the object, allowing for higher speeds to be achieved without slipping. On a flat curve, there is no additional force, so the max and min speed is limited by friction and other factors.