Max and min pickup current of the relay

In summary, the min and max pickup current for a relay is 10mA and 6mA, respectively. The relay will only operate within this range. If there is more than 10mA flowing through the relay coil, the switch will not move.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I hope I'm translating this correctly from Hebrew.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7621/mamser.jpg

I have a relay here and I'm told that the min pickup current is 6mA, and the max is 10mA... does it mean that the relay only works in this range? What happens if there is more than 10mA?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've only seen relays rated by input voltage, not by current. The input voltage is specified (like 5V or 12V), and the coil reisistance and tolerance dictate the coil current...

Could it be that at least 6 mA must be flowing through the relay coil in order to actuate the switch? If less than 6 mA are flowing, then the switch will not move? That would be my best guess.

I couldn't say what the maximum current means.

I agree with berkeman: most relays I've seen just have a specific input voltage that you are supposed to supply to to the input, and when this voltage is supplied, the coil resistance determines how much current is drawn.

The 10 mA max figure undoubtedly signifies that beyond that current the coil can overheat at the high temperature limit.

I don't see the big deal about voltage vs. current. The max. spec. can be imposed either way.

Femme_physics said:
I have a relay here and I'm told that the min pickup current is 6mA, and the max is 10mA... does it mean that the relay only works in this range? What happens if there is more than 10mA?
There is an ambiguity here, FP, in that it's not clear whether you are quoting a spec for the winding of the electromechanical relay, or whether this is a spec for the input to that transistor driver.

Would I be correct in guessing that you really don't have a relay at all, just a textbook question that states this as a parameter to apply to your calculations?

My take on it is that 10mA is guaranteed to operate all relays of this part number, while some will be found to operate [satisfactorily] with as little as 6mA. It's quite possible there's no problem in exceeding that 10mA figure by even 50% or so; few electromechanical devices are so fragile as to have a tightly constrained permissible operating range as narrow as 8mA +/- 2mA. Though you might have found an exception. :wink:

Manufacturer's data sheets are invaluable for discovering the power limits of devices, and establishing precisely what these abbreviated specs really mean in cases of ambiguity.

Sorry, Nascent, I meant the min-max pickup current of the relay...yes, in that case "rude man's" comment seems accurate

Thanks

A coil that overheats at 10 mA?
Not very likely.

That is way too little current to overheat anything.

If you want to burn a carton board man, you'll need way more! :wink:

I like Serena said:
Not very likely.

If you want to burn a carton board man, you'll need way more! :wink:

So NascentOxygen's remark that 10 mA is the "must turn on" current and 6 mA is the "must turn off" current might be accurate. In between these two values, the state of the relay is uncertain.

Of course, we're just speculating. These values could very well have something to do with the transistor and nothing to do with the relay.

cepheid said:
So NascentOxygen's remark that 10 mA is the "must turn on" current and 6 mA is the "must turn off" current might be accurate. In between these two values, the state of the relay is uncertain.

I agree. This is the most likely explanation.

A min and max "pickup current" sounds very much like what is needed for the relais.

I like Serena said:
Not very likely.

I wasn't disputing that figure, small as it may seem. There may well be microminaturized relays with very fine wire all fully sealed in epoxy from which little heat can escape, and having maximum allowable fixed currents of 10 mA. What I focussed on was the likelihood of an electromechanical device (inherently robust), seeming to have a "destructive" current so close to its rated operating current.

The OP has not indicated whether this is from a data sheet, or a textbook question. I suspect the latter, and by a well-meaning author who thought he was simplifying the problem for students using his textbook.

I think it's good if Fp gets a sense of what is realistic and what is not.

Shall we assume the simplest explanation that fits all the facts?

(Also, with Fp's other thread in mind, I'd like to dance over corpses.
Can I? Can I? :shy:)

I like Serena said:
I think it's good if Fp gets a sense of what is realistic and what is not.

Shall we assume the simplest explanation that fits all the facts?

(Also, with Fp's other thread in mind, I'd like to dance over corpses.
Can I? Can I? :shy:)

LOL at the last comment

And yes, I just wrote that the current needs to be between 6-10 mA for the circuit to work, no need to get too deep into the nitty gritty I reckon..

thanks everyone!

Something not quite right here! ignoring (?) any voltage across R1 the voltage across the emitter resistor is about 11/50 = 0.22A ie 220mA. So for the circuit drawn the current through the relay coil is about 220mA when S is closed.

truesearch said:
Something not quite right here! ignoring (?) any voltage across R1 the voltage across the emitter resistor is about 11/50 = 0.22A ie 220mA. So for the circuit drawn the current through the relay coil is about 220mA when S is closed.

Erm... shouldn't that depend on R1 which influences the voltage across the transistor and also of the unknown resistance of the coil?

ignoring (?) was meant to cover any uncertainty. Safe to assume that current into base of transistor is at least 100X smaller than emitter/colector current (could be wrong !) then R1 would need to be 100x bigger than Re to be significant... ? ...yes/no...?...5000Ω...but no value is given... do something with the values and experience of transistor circuits and relays.
Still safe to assume that Ve is 11V... 10V ...9V...8V if you want.
Look at the principles here

Last edited:
And now that I think of it, isn't 220 mA perfectly alright?
It's more than 10 mA, so that means the relais will close. :)

Related to Max and min pickup current of the relay

What is the purpose of determining the max and min pickup current of a relay?

The max and min pickup current of a relay is an important specification that determines the minimum and maximum amount of current needed to activate the relay. This helps ensure that the relay will not be accidentally activated or fail to activate when needed.

How is the max and min pickup current of a relay measured?

The max and min pickup current is typically measured using a multimeter or other specialized equipment. The relay is connected to a power source and the current is gradually increased until the relay is activated. The minimum current needed to activate the relay is recorded as the min pickup current, and the maximum current needed is recorded as the max pickup current.

What factors can affect the max and min pickup current of a relay?

The max and min pickup current can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the relay, the type of load connected to the relay, and the voltage and frequency of the power source. It is important to consider these factors when determining the appropriate max and min pickup current for a specific relay.

How does the max and min pickup current of a relay impact its performance?

The max and min pickup current can impact the overall performance of a relay. If the min pickup current is too low, the relay may activate unintentionally, causing malfunctions or damage. On the other hand, if the max pickup current is too high, the relay may fail to activate when needed, leading to system failures. It is important to carefully determine and test the appropriate max and min pickup current for a relay to ensure optimal performance.

Can the max and min pickup current of a relay be adjusted?

In some cases, the max and min pickup current of a relay can be adjusted by changing the settings or components within the relay. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines before attempting to adjust the pickup current, as it can affect the reliability and safety of the relay.