Max and min forces on an elevator.

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an elevator with a mass of 4850 kg and a maximum acceleration of 0.0600 g's (or 0.558 m/s/s). The question is what are the maximum and minimum forces the motor should exert on the cable. The formula used is Fnet = Ft - Fg, where Ft is the forces exerted by the motor and Fg is the force of gravity. The minimum force required is 4850 x 9.8 N and the maximum force is (4850)(0.06)(9.8) + (9.8)(4850) = Ft. However, there may be some uncertainty about the variables used in the equation.
yeyspaz
" A elevator with a mass of 4850 kg is to be designed so that the maximum acceleration is 0.0600 g's. What are the max and min forces the motor should exert on the cable?"
I converted the .0600 gs to .558 m/s/s, but when iplugged it into the F=ma formula i got the wrong answer? am i supposed to use another formula? :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

I think you use Fnet = Ft - Fg

Where Ft is the forces the motor exerts on cable.

^
|
| Ft
^ |
| ______
Fnet | |
_______
|
| Fg
V

For the min Fnet = 0 so Fg = Ft so Ft = 4850 x 9.8

and the max Fnet = Ft - Fg
would be (4850)(0.06)(9.8) + (9.8)(4850) = Ft

I could be wrong because I'm crap at Physics but, eh, at least I moved your question to the top again.

You used the right equation but with the wrong variables. Think, on the way down gravity makes the elevater to accelerate at 9.8m/s/s so to cancel that out the moter needs to pull enough to accelerate the elevator upwards with the acceleration of 9.8 + .588 m/s/s. (this is what kirby said but I didn't see him until I posted)

Last edited:

Related to Max and min forces on an elevator.

What is the maximum force experienced by an elevator?

The maximum force experienced by an elevator is equal to the weight of the elevator plus the weight of its maximum rated load. This is known as the "maximum load force".

What is the minimum force experienced by an elevator?

The minimum force experienced by an elevator is equal to the weight of the elevator alone, without any additional load. This is known as the "minimum load force".

How are maximum and minimum forces calculated for an elevator?

The maximum and minimum forces on an elevator are calculated by taking into account the weight of the elevator, the weight of its rated load, and the acceleration or deceleration of the elevator. This can be calculated using the formula F = m*a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What factors can affect the maximum and minimum forces on an elevator?

The maximum and minimum forces on an elevator can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the elevator and its rated load, the speed and acceleration of the elevator, and the friction or resistance within the elevator system.

Why is it important to consider maximum and minimum forces on an elevator?

It is important to consider maximum and minimum forces on an elevator to ensure the safety and stability of the elevator and its passengers. By calculating and monitoring these forces, engineers can ensure that the elevator is operating within safe limits and can make any necessary adjustments to maintain its functionality and prevent accidents.