Max and Min Applied Force for Stationary Block on Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2kg block on a 30 degree incline with a coefficient of static friction of 0.5. The goal is to determine the maximum and minimum values of an applied force at 30 degrees to the plane that will keep the block stationary. The speakers discuss the use of forces in the x direction, the role of friction, and the variation of the normal force. They also mention the different slipping tendencies of the block and share their calculated values of force min and force max.
thenewbosco
The problem is:

We have a 2kg block on a 30 degree incline, with the coefficient of static friction= 0.5. I am supposed to determine the maximum and minimum values of an applied force at 30 degrees to the plane that will keep the block stationary.

My positive x direction is down the ramp.

I have tried to sum the forces in the x direction as follows,

x component of gravity - x component of applied force - friction = 0

I am not sure if friction should be here in this form, considering that
Force of static friction < μs (Normal force)

Any help?

Bosco

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand why it shouldn't be, use the gravity to calculate the normal force and then you can calculate the friction.

I do not know how to get the two different forces- maximum and minimum though.

The strength of the static friction force is whatever it needs to be to prevent sliding... up to a maximum strength, given by mu*N.

As you apply your external force, the required static friction force varies.
Additionally, if your external force has a component perpendicular to the incline, the normal force will vary (and hence the maximum friction force will vary).

great but how do i go about solving this problem now

Well looking at the very statement of the problem, you should reason that since there are two different kinds of forces (maximum and minimum) the effects they produce are different, perhaps with regard to the different slipping tendencies of the block :-).

my answers were: force min = 1.18N and force max = 29.6 N

can anyone tell me if this is right/reasonable?

What have you done?

Related to Max and Min Applied Force for Stationary Block on Inclined Plane

1. What is "Classic Block on incline"?

"Classic Block on incline" is a classic physics problem that involves a block placed on an inclined plane. The objective of this problem is to calculate the various forces acting on the block and determine the block's motion.

2. How do you calculate the net force on the block in this problem?

To calculate the net force, you need to consider the force of gravity acting on the block, as well as the normal force and frictional force from the inclined plane. The net force can be calculated using the formula Fnet = ma, where m is the mass of the block and a is the acceleration of the block down the inclined plane.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle of the incline. As the angle of the incline increases, the normal force decreases.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the block?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of frictional force between the block and the inclined plane. If the coefficient of friction is high, the block will experience more friction and will move slower. If the coefficient of friction is low, the block will experience less friction and will move faster.

5. Can you use this problem to determine the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, this problem can be used to determine the acceleration due to gravity. By measuring the acceleration of the block down the inclined plane and knowing the angle of the incline, the acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = a / sinθ, where θ is the angle of the incline.