Matter Waves: Phase vs Group Velocity Equation

In summary, the phase velocity of waves in a substance is proportional to the reciprocal of the wavelength, and the group velocity is equal to twice the phase velocity. Therefore, the equation vg = 2vp is valid.
rg414

Homework Statement

In a particular substance the phase velocity of the waves is proportional to the reciprocal of the wavelength. If vp represents the central phase velocity of a wave group and vg represents the group velocity, which of the following equations is valid?

Homework Equations

(A) vg = 1/vp
(B) vg = ½ vp
(C) vg = vp
(D) vg = 2 vp
(E) vg = 4 vp

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time finding relevant information on this question. I believe the answer is C. If anyone can help me to further understand this problem, I would appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that
[tex]
v_p=\frac{w}{k}=a \frac{1}{\lambda}.
[/tex]

We get from this
[tex]
w=a \frac{k}{\lambda}=a \frac{k^2}{2 \pi}.
[/tex]

Then
[tex]
v_g=\frac{dw}{dk}=2a \frac{k}{2 \pi}=2a \frac{1}{\lambda}.
[/tex]

[tex]
v_g=2 v_p.
[/tex]

Related to Matter Waves: Phase vs Group Velocity Equation

1. What is the difference between phase and group velocity in matter waves?

The phase velocity of a matter wave refers to the speed at which the wave's phase (i.e. the position of its peaks and troughs) propagates through space. On the other hand, the group velocity refers to the speed at which the wave's energy (or "group") propagates through space. In other words, the phase velocity is related to the wave's frequency, while the group velocity is related to its wavelength.

2. How is the phase velocity of a matter wave calculated?

The phase velocity of a matter wave can be calculated using the formula v = λf, where v is the phase velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. This formula is based on the relationship between the wave's frequency and wavelength, as described by the wave equation.

3. What is the significance of the phase vs group velocity equation in quantum mechanics?

The phase vs group velocity equation is significant in quantum mechanics because it helps to describe the behavior of matter waves, which are waves associated with particles at the quantum level. These waves have both a phase and a group velocity, and understanding their relationship is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can the phase velocity of a matter wave ever exceed the speed of light?

No, the phase velocity of a matter wave cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any information or energy can travel through space. If the phase velocity of a matter wave were to exceed the speed of light, it would violate the principles of special relativity.

5. How does the phase vs group velocity equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The phase vs group velocity equation is related to the uncertainty principle in that it highlights the complementary relationship between a particle's position and momentum. The phase velocity is related to the particle's momentum, while the group velocity is related to its position. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and is described by the uncertainty principle.