Matter Lagrangian for perfect fluid

In summary, the stress-energy tensor for a perfect fluid with density ρ and pressure P is T_{\mu\nu}=-2\frac{\delta L_m}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}}+L_m g_{\mu \nu}.
ramparts
The stress-energy tensor is usually defined in standard GR treatments as

[tex]T_{\mu\nu} = -\frac{2}{\sqrt{-g}}\frac{\delta(\sqrt{g}L_m)}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}})[/tex]

with the Lm the matter Lagrangian.

I'm curious what Lm is for a perfect fluid with density ρ and pressure P that would lead to the standard stress-energy tensor

[tex]T_{\mu\nu} = (\rho+P)u^\mu u^\nu + Pg_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

in an FRW metric.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paywall is fine by me, I'm at a university. I'll take a look through that paper, thanks - most of the actions have more information than I need (since it should just be a function of density and pressure) but I'll read through in more depth soon. I just had a go at doing something very simple which seems to work to me, which is to write the ansatz

[tex]L_m = (a \rho + bP) g^{\mu \nu} u_\mu u_\nu + (c\rho + dP) g^{\mu\nu}g_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

so you can differentiate Lm with respect to the inverse metric and compare to the usual perfect fluid stress-energy tensor, using the fact that the definition of the stress-energy tensor is equivalent to

[tex]T_{\mu\nu} = -2\frac{\delta L_m}{\delta g^{\mu\nu}} + L_m g_{\mu \nu}.[/tex]

Doing this gives a=b=-1/2, c=-d=-1/4 so that you have

[tex]L_m = \frac{1}{2} (-\rho + 3P)[/tex]

which is nice, since it's just 1/2 the trace of the stress-energy tensor.

If there's some gross problem in doing this hopefully someone will point it out!

Section 25 and 27 of the 69-page book on GR by the great Dirac has an answer to your question. You may also want to check L&L books (Fields, vol. 2, or Fluid Mechanics) or the old book by Tolman.

dextercioby said:
Section 25 and 27 of the 69-page book on GR by the great Dirac has an answer to your question. You may also want to check L&L books (Fields, vol. 2, or Fluid Mechanics) or the old book by Tolman.

Thanks. It looks like there's a copy in my department's library which I'll look at, but for the benefit of people reading who don't have that, is there an executive summary you could give us?

So I've checked a couple of books and the paper PeterDonis posted (thanks!) and it seems the perfect fluid Lagrangian is actually just -ρ. Frankly that makes sense because the thing I thought it was vanishes for a radiation fluid, which is clearly wrong. L=-ρ fits the usual form for the electromagnetic Lagrangian and also a scalar Lagrangian so it makes sense to me.

The way I worked it out about must have been somewhat sloppy!

Related to Matter Lagrangian for perfect fluid

What is a Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid?

A Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a perfect fluid. It takes into account the fluid's energy, pressure, and flow velocity and is used to determine the equations of motion for the fluid.

What are the parameters used in the Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid?

The parameters used in the Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid include the density, pressure, and flow velocity of the fluid. These parameters are used to describe the fluid's energy and motion.

How is the Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid derived?

The Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for describing the motion of particles and systems. It involves using the fluid's energy and flow velocity to determine the Lagrangian function.

What are some applications of the Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid?

The Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid has many applications in the field of fluid dynamics and astrophysics. It is used to study the behavior of fluids in a variety of systems, such as in the atmosphere, oceans, and stars.

How does the Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid differ from other Lagrangians?

The Matter Lagrangian for a perfect fluid differs from other Lagrangians in that it takes into account the specific properties of a perfect fluid, such as its incompressibility and constant density. This allows for a more accurate description of the fluid's behavior and dynamics.