Matter at the core of neutron star

In summary: Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?In summary, matter in the core of neutron stars is a mixture of superfluid neutrons, superconducting/superfluid protons, and an electron "gas." The density is about ten times that of an atomic nucleus, and conditions in the core strongly hint at a quark - gluon fluid. I find that very Interesting. It may explain the disparity between the most massive neutron stars and lowest mass black holes.
Vrbic
How would you approximately describe matter in the core of underlying neutron star? I am asking for really fundamental properties. No strange matter, consider just n,e,p. A ratio, can we describe particles as free? Gas x fluid x superfluid? etc.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?
No, I mean it is over.

I can't give any details, but I've heard that matter exists in the form of a superfluid of neutrons, protons, and electrons. The deeper you go, the higher the percentage of neutrons compared to protons and electrons.

Vrbic said:
How would you approximately describe matter in the core of underlying neutron star? I am asking for really fundamental properties. No strange matter, consider just n,e,p. A ratio, can we describe particles as free? Gas x fluid x superfluid? etc.

As with all questions of this sort, you will get better and more helpful answers if you research the topic yourself, and then come back here with more specific questions about what you found. In this case, the wikipedia pages on"neutron stars" and "degenerate matter" are pretty good.

Vrbic said:
It is a mixture of superfluid neutrons, superconducting/superfluid protons, and an electron "gas." Toward the center there are only a few percent electrons and protons. The whole thing is believed to be penetrated by a great many tiny electromagnetic vortices. There is no empty space whatsoever. At the center the density is about ten times that of an atomic nucleus.

Conditions in the core of neutron stars strongly hints at a quark - gluon fluid. I find that very Interesting. It may explain the disparity between the most massive neutron stars and lowest mass black holes.

Related to Matter at the core of neutron star

1. What is the matter at the core of a neutron star made of?

The matter at the core of a neutron star is made up of extremely dense and tightly packed neutrons. This is due to the immense gravitational forces present in the core, which compress the atoms and strip them of their electrons.

2. How much pressure is present at the core of a neutron star?

The pressure at the core of a neutron star is so immense that it can reach up to 10^34 times the pressure found at the Earth's core. This is strong enough to overcome the repulsive force between neutrons and cause them to merge together.

3. How does the matter at the core of a neutron star affect its size and density?

The matter at the core of a neutron star is responsible for its small size and high density. The core is typically only about 10 kilometers in diameter, but can have a mass up to twice that of the Sun. This extreme density is due to the tightly packed neutrons in the core.

4. What is the temperature of the core of a neutron star?

The temperature at the core of a neutron star can reach up to 10^12 Kelvin. This high temperature is a result of the immense pressure and energy released during the formation of the star. However, as the star ages, it gradually cools down.

5. How does the matter at the core of a neutron star contribute to its strong magnetic field?

The matter at the core of a neutron star is also responsible for its strong magnetic field. As the core rotates, it creates a dynamo effect, generating a magnetic field that is a trillion times stronger than the Earth's. This can also lead to powerful bursts of radiation from the star's poles, known as pulsars.