Matter/antimatter annihilation and conservation of mass

In summary, matter-antimatter annihilation involves the annihilation of two particles that produce energy in the form of gamma rays. This does not contradict the laws of conservation of energy and matter, as energy is conserved and there is no conservation law for matter in subatomic physics. The loss of mass in this process is an indication of energy being transferred to outgoing particles, similar to a nuclear reaction. To fully understand the theory behind this, one would need to study lowest order quantum electrodynamics processes.
Sheets.256
I was hoping to learn a little bit more about matter-antimatter annihilation. As I understand it, when a particle meets an antiparticle, they are both annihilated and energy is produced. Does this contradict the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of matter? I haven't had much luck finding the answer online or in other threads here, but if there's anything you could refer me to, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheets.256 said:
I was hoping to learn a little bit more about matter-antimatter annihilation. As I understand it, when a particle meets an antiparticle, they are both annihilated and energy is produced. Does this contradict the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of matter? I haven't had much luck finding the answer online or in other threads here, but if there's anything you could refer me to, I would appreciate it.

Nothing wrong with annihilation of matter-antimatter... the 2 particles that get annihilated, produce for example 2 gamma rays that carry the energy/momentum needed.

There is no energy produced, energy is conserved. The mass of the particles has energy as well. This energy can get transformed to something else, like radiation.
There is no conservation law for matter.

There is only conservation of matter (nucleons and electrons) in Chemistry probably. When it comes to subatomic physics there is no such thing.

A more familiar example is in a nuclear reaction, there is loss in mass. For rest particles, we have E = m0c2, so the mass loss is an indication of lost energy which is transferred to the outgoing particles (e.g. photon).

To properly understand the real theoretical foundation of such process, you might need to look at lowest order quantum electrodynamics processes.

Related to Matter/antimatter annihilation and conservation of mass

1. What is matter/antimatter annihilation?

Matter/antimatter annihilation is a process in which a particle and its corresponding antiparticle come into contact and are completely converted into energy. This process is governed by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, which states that mass and energy are interchangeable.

2. How does matter/antimatter annihilation occur?

Matter/antimatter annihilation can occur naturally in high-energy environments, such as in stars or during cosmic ray collisions. It can also be artificially produced in particle accelerators by colliding particles and antiparticles at high speeds.

3. What happens to the mass during matter/antimatter annihilation?

The mass of the particle and antiparticle is completely converted into energy in the form of photons (particles of light). This means that the total mass before and after the annihilation remains the same, as dictated by the law of conservation of mass.

4. What is the conservation of mass?

The conservation of mass is a fundamental law of physics that states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different forms. This means that in any physical or chemical process, the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products.

5. Can matter/antimatter annihilation be used for practical applications?

Yes, matter/antimatter annihilation has been used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the production of nuclear energy. However, harnessing the energy from matter/antimatter annihilation on a large scale is currently not feasible due to the difficulty in producing and storing antimatter.