Thermal Expansion of copper sphere Problem

In summary, the copper sphere will pass through the hole when the radii (of the hole and sphere) are equal.
acgold
This one is giving me trouble because I don't know the final radius and I don't know how to find it.

1. A copper sphere of radius 2.000 cm is placed over a hole of radius 1.990 cm in an aluminum plate at 20 deg. C. At what common temperature will the sphere pass through the hole?
Ans. 747 degrees C

I'm assuming that finding the final radius is the whole point of this problem since once you know the radius the temperature is easy to calculate. Unfortunately I don't know how to find it :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
acgold said:
This one is giving me trouble because I don't know the final radius and I don't know how to find it.

1. A copper sphere of radius 2.000 cm is placed over a hole of radius 1.990 cm in an aluminum plate at 20 deg. C. At what common temperature will the sphere pass through the hole?
Ans. 747 degrees C

I'm assuming that finding the final radius is the whole point of this problem since once you know the radius the temperature is easy to calculate. Unfortunately I don't know how to find it :confused:
It falls through when the radii (of the hole and sphere) are equal. I'm guessing there's some formula like [itex]\Delta r = k_{copper}\Delta T[/itex]. Well, it obviously can't be that simple. But you know the initial temperatures and sizes, some sort of constants or material properties for copper and aluminum, and you should be able to express the final size of the copper in terms of the aluminum, or vice versa. That gives you two unknowns (final size and final temperature), and two equations (one for copper one for aluminum), then solve.

Man I need to get some sleep or something. The answer was sitting right in front of me. I already had both equations all setup...all I need to do was solve for r and substitute it into the other equation.

Thanks

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. This is due to the increase or decrease in the average distance between the atoms or molecules in the material.

2. Why is thermal expansion important?

Thermal expansion is important because it affects the dimensions and properties of materials at different temperatures. This can have practical implications in engineering and construction, as well as for understanding the behavior of different materials.

3. What is the thermal expansion coefficient?

The thermal expansion coefficient is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts in response to a change in temperature. It is usually expressed in units of length per unit temperature, such as meters per kelvin (m/K) or inches per degree Fahrenheit (in/°F).

4. How does thermal expansion affect the size of a copper sphere?

As the temperature of a copper sphere increases, the average distance between its atoms or molecules increases, causing the sphere to expand. The amount of expansion is determined by the thermal expansion coefficient of copper and the change in temperature.

5. How can we calculate the thermal expansion of a copper sphere?

The thermal expansion of a copper sphere can be calculated using the formula ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the thermal expansion coefficient, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature. By plugging in the values for these variables, we can determine the amount of expansion of the copper sphere.