What Does Wave Rating Mean in Telescope Mirrors?

In summary, a "quarter-wave" mirror is a mirror with a figure that is within one quarter wavelength of a specific color of visible light, usually green. This means that the hills and valleys on the mirror's surface are smaller than 100 nanometers from the ideal parabolic figure. The measure is often ignored in favor of the "Strehl Ratio", which is a more accurate measure of a mirror's surface accuracy.
Artman
I know that a telescope system is supposed to be at least 1/4 wave or less (for both primary and secondary ratings combined), but I am not quite sure what the wave rating refers to. Can someone explain what this is measuring.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A "quarter-wave" mirror is a mirror whose figure is an accurate parabola within one quarter wavelength of a specific color of visible light (green, I believe). In other words, the hills and valleys on the mirror's surface are smaller than about 100 nanometers from the ideal parabolic figure.

- Warren

Thanks chroot,
I thought it was something like that, but I have never seen it defined.

As chroot said, the measure is usualy in green light, most sensitive to the eye and at a wavelength short enough to be meaningful. A 1/25th wave mirror measured in red light would most likely be a terrible figure for a telescope mirror.

Actually, most wavelength claims are being ignored in favor of an accurate measure of the "Strehl Ratio", which is much more indicative of a mirror's surface accuracy.

See:
http://www.rfroyce.com/standards.htm

Labguy

1. What are wave ratings for mirrors?

Wave ratings for mirrors refer to the measurement of the surface quality of a mirror in terms of its ability to reflect light without distorting the image. It is typically measured in units of waves, with a lower number indicating a higher quality mirror.

2. How are wave ratings for mirrors determined?

Wave ratings for mirrors are determined by using a wavefront sensor to measure the surface deviations of the mirror. This data is then compared to an ideal flat surface, with the difference between the two being the wave rating.

3. What is considered a good wave rating for a mirror?

Generally, a wave rating of 1/4 wave or lower is considered good for a mirror. However, the specific requirements may vary depending on the intended use of the mirror.

4. Can wave ratings for mirrors be improved?

Yes, wave ratings for mirrors can be improved through polishing and coating techniques. These processes can help reduce surface deviations and improve the overall wave rating of the mirror.

5. Are wave ratings the only factor to consider when choosing a mirror?

No, wave ratings are just one factor to consider when choosing a mirror. Other factors include the type of coating, the material of the mirror, and the intended use. It is important to consider all aspects to select the best mirror for a specific application.