How Do Isothermal and Isochronic Processes Compare in Thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about different types of processes, specifically isothermal and isochoric processes, and the relationship between heat exchange and work in each type of process. The conversation also includes a funny mix-up between "isochoric" and "isochronic" and a recommendation for a helpful website.
Dx
Hello again,

Last question for a while kinda confused between these two. Let's say i have these two processes, the internal energy of a system is removed(isothermal) and decreases by 50J(both of them).

Now for isothermal Q=W which would tell me that work equals 50J, correct and isochronic would also have a heat exchange of 50J, right?

Can you help me?
Dx :wink:

ps. let's use these questions for a better example if i have confused you.

1) During an isothermal process, 5J of heat is removed from the ideal gas. what is the work done in the process. its 5J, right

2) In a isochronic process, the internal energy of a system decreases by 50J, ok. what's the heat exchange? 50J, right

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "isochronic"?

Did you mean "isochoric" (constant-volume process)

LMAO!

Hiya! Tom,
Yes i mean isocoric. Sounds like a new type of chronic/mary jane cig huh.
Your right Isochoric.
Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Originally posted by Dx
Now for isothermal Q=W which would tell me that work equals 50J, correct and isochronic would also have a heat exchange of 50J, right?

Yes.

1) During an isothermal process, 5J of heat is removed from the ideal gas. what is the work done in the process. its 5J, right

Right again.

2) In a isochronic process, the internal energy of a system decreases by 50J, ok. what's the heat exchange? 50J, right [/B]

And three's a charm.

Try the following website. It's really great.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

In the bubble map, click on "Heat and Thermodynamics". In the new menu, you will see, among other things, "Isothermal" and "Constant Volume" (aka "Isochronic" LOL).

What is the difference between isothermal and isochronic?

Isothermal and isochronic are two terms that are often used in thermodynamics and physics. They both refer to a process or system where there is no change in temperature. However, the main difference between the two is that isothermal refers to a process where the temperature remains constant, while isochronic refers to a process where the time remains constant.

How are isothermal and isochronic processes used in science?

Isothermal and isochronic processes are used in many scientific fields, including thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics. In thermodynamics, these processes are used to describe the behavior of ideal gases and the laws of thermodynamics. In chemistry, isothermal and isochronic processes are used to study the kinetics of chemical reactions. In physics, these processes are used to study the behavior of waves and oscillations.

What are some examples of isothermal and isochronic processes?

An example of an isothermal process is the expansion or compression of an ideal gas at a constant temperature. An example of an isochronic process is the pendulum of a clock, where the time period of oscillation remains constant regardless of the amplitude.

What are the limitations of isothermal and isochronic processes?

The main limitation of isothermal processes is that they can only occur under ideal conditions, such as perfectly insulated systems. In reality, there will always be some heat transfer and temperature change. As for isochronic processes, they are limited to systems that can maintain a constant frequency, which is not always possible in real-life scenarios.

How do isothermal and isochronic processes relate to each other?

Isothermal and isochronic processes are related in the sense that they both represent a form of equilibrium. In isothermal processes, the system is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, while in isochronic processes, the system is in a state of dynamic equilibrium with a constant frequency. Additionally, both processes involve the exchange of energy in the form of heat or work.