Matrix representation in x and y basis for spin operators

In summary, the book almost always asks to find something in the z-basis, but rarely asks to find something in the x or y-basis.
Robben

Homework Statement

How can I find the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{S}_+## and ##\mathbb{S}_-## in the ##|\pm y\rangle## or ##|\pm x\rangle## basis?

Homework Equations

##
\mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar|s,m+1\rangle
##

The Attempt at a Solution

The book almost always ask to find something in the ##z-##basis but rarely asks to find something in ##x## or ##y## basis. I know how this matrix representation will look with the ##z-##basis, so I am wondering how the matrix representation will look in the ##x## or ##y## basis instead of ##z##?

Physics news on Phys.org
You find the projections along the unit vectors like normal.
If you already have the projection along the z axis, then what will the projections along the x and y axes look like?

Simon Bridge said:
You find the projections along the unit vectors like normal.
If you already have the projection along the z axis, then what will the projections along the x and y axes look like?

Can you elaborate please? Will it just then be a reflection about the axis?

Well the way I'm reading it, he's asking for a component.
"the z basis" does not really mean anything.

You can find, for eg, the z component of angular momentum right?
You know how the x and y components are given the z component.
If you don't, look it up.

Simon Bridge said:
Well the way I'm reading it, he's asking for a component.
"the z basis" does not really mean anything.

You can find, for eg, the z component of angular momentum right?
You know how the x and y components are given the z component.
If you don't, look it up.

So I will just use ##|+x\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|+z\rangle +|-z\rangle)## as my basis and solve it the way I solved for the ##z## basis?

Well, again, there is no such thing as a z basis that I know of.
I think you need to revisit the definitions - what is it that S+ and S- do?

Simon Bridge said:
Well, again, there is no such thing as a z basis that I know of.
It's a common expression when talking about spin. The z basis for a spin-1/2 particle is the set ##\left\{ |+z\rangle, |-z\rangle\right\}##, with "spin up" corresponding to a spin along +z, and "spin down" to a spin along -z.

Robben said:
How can I find the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{S}_+## and ##\mathbb{S}_-## in the ##|\pm y\rangle## or ##|\pm x\rangle## basis?
You can express an operator ##\hat{O}## in, e.g., the x basis, as a matrix using
$$
\mathbf{O}_x = \begin{pmatrix} \langle +x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle +x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \\
\langle -x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle -x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \end{pmatrix}
$$
For that, you need of course to find how to apply the operator in the x basis, i.e., ##\hat{O} | +x \rangle##. This you can find by expressing ## | +x \rangle## in terms of ##| +z \rangle## and ##| -z \rangle##.

Alternatively, you can calculate the rotation matrix ##\mathbf{R}## that brings you from the z basis to the x basis, and find the operator matrix using
$$
\mathbf{O}_x = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{O}_z \mathbf{R}^T
$$

Likes Robben
DrClaude said:
It's a common expression when talking about spin. The z basis for a spin-1/2 particle is the set ##\left\{ |+z\rangle, |-z\rangle\right\}##, with "spin up" corresponding to a spin along +z, and "spin down" to a spin along -z.You can express an operator ##\hat{O}## in, e.g., the x basis, as a matrix using
$$
\mathbf{O}_x = \begin{pmatrix} \langle +x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle +x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \\
\langle -x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle -x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \end{pmatrix}
$$
For that, you need of course to find how to apply the operator in the x basis, i.e., ##\hat{O} | +x \rangle##. This you can find by expressing ## | +x \rangle## in terms of ##| +z \rangle## and ##| -z \rangle##.

Alternatively, you can calculate the rotation matrix ##\mathbf{R}## that brings you from the z basis to the x basis, and find the operator matrix using
$$
\mathbf{O}_x = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{O}_z \mathbf{R}^T
$$

Very helpful! Thank you very much!

Related to Matrix representation in x and y basis for spin operators

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles interact with each other and with energy in a probabilistic manner, rather than following deterministic laws like classical mechanics.

2. What is the Basis of Quantum Mechanics?

The basis of Quantum Mechanics is the concept of quantum superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously until they are observed or measured. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where particles have definite properties at all times.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in Quantum Mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time with complete accuracy. This is because the act of measuring one property affects the other, making it impossible to know both with certainty.

4. How does Quantum Mechanics explain wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the concept that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Quantum Mechanics explains this phenomenon by describing particles as waves of probability, rather than physical objects with definite positions and properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of transistors for electronics, lasers for communication and medical imaging, and quantum computing for advanced data processing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic level, leading to advancements in fields like nanotechnology and materials science.