Matrix Representation for Combined Ladder Operators

In summary: the matrix element of "\sigma_{+} for more than 2 x 2 dimensions" is just the result of multiplying the first column of the matrix by the second column.
Raptor112
Due to the definition of spin-up (in my project ),
\begin{eqnarray}
\sigma_+ =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 2 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{eqnarray}
as opposed to
\begin{eqnarray}
\sigma_+ =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{eqnarray}
and the annihilation operator is
\begin{eqnarray}
\hat{a} =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \sqrt{1} & 0 & 0 & \dots\\
0 & 0 & \sqrt{2} & 0 &\dots\\
0 & 0 & 0 & \sqrt{3} & \dots\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &\dots\\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots&\ddots\\
\end{bmatrix}
\end{eqnarray}

The matrix elememts of \begin{eqnarray} \hat{a}\hat{\sigma_+} \end{eqnarray} were given to me and are:

\begin{eqnarray}
\hat{a}\hat{\sigma_+} =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 2\sqrt{1} & 0 &0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &0\\
0 & 0& 0 & 0& 2\sqrt{2} \\
0 & 0& 0 & 0 &0\\
\end{bmatrix} \end{eqnarray}

From this I need to find out what the matrix elements of
\begin{eqnarray}
\hat{a^{\dagger}}\hat{\sigma_-}
\end{eqnarray}
are?

I suppose the issue is I don't know how to represent the atomic raising/lowering operator for dimenstions greater than 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
For any operator ##\hat{A}##, you find its matrix representation in the basis ##|n\rangle## by calculating the matrix elements using
$$
A_{mn} = \langle m | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$
You simply need to apply this to the ladder operators.

DrClaude said:
For any operator ##\hat{A}##, you find its matrix representation in the basis ##|n\rangle## by calculating the matrix elements using
$$
A_{mn} = \langle m | \hat{A} | n \rangle
$$
You simply need to apply this to the ladder operators.

As ##\hat{a}## in my case is larger than a 2*2 matrix how does one find the elements for ## \hat{\sigma}_+## for a matrix of dimensions greater than 2*2?

What basis are you working with in your project?

vela said:
What basis are you working with in your project?
The Fock states

The ordering of the basis is very important, especially when you are working with tensor product states as in here. I would hazard a guess that you are working on atom-light interactions in some sort of cavity? (like Jaynes-Cummings?)
In that case, your basis is a composite of the Fock states of the photon field and the spin of the atom: [itex]\left|n\right\rangle \otimes \left|\sigma\right\rangle [/itex]. Once you determine how the basis in Eq. (5) are ordered, you should be able to get the matrix elements of [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex]
(There is actually a very fast method of doing so if you can see the relationship between [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a} \sigma_{+}[/itex])

Fightfish said:
The ordering of the basis is very important, especially when you are working with tensor product states as in here. I would hazard a guess that you are working on atom-light interactions in some sort of cavity? (like Jaynes-Cummings?)
In that case, your basis is a composite of the Fock states of the photon field and the spin of the atom: [itex]\left|n\right\rangle \otimes \left|\sigma\right\rangle [/itex]. Once you determine how the basis in Eq. (5) are ordered, you should be able to get the matrix elements of [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex]
(There is actually a very fast method of doing so if you can see the relationship between [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{a} \sigma_{+}[/itex])
##(\sigma_- a^{\dagger})^{\dagger} = a \sigma_+##
and
##(\sigma_+ a)^{\dagger} = a^{\dagger} \sigma_-##

but how does that give ##a^{\dagger} \sigma_-## from ##a \sigma_+##

Given a matrix [itex]M[/itex], how is [itex]M^{\dagger}[/itex] related to it?

Fightfish said:
Given a matrix [itex]M[/itex], how is [itex]M^{\dagger}[/itex] related to it?
## (M^{\dagger})^{\dagger}= M##
so from:
##(\sigma_+ a)^{\dagger} = a^{\dagger} \sigma_-##
##((\sigma_-)^{\dagger} (a^{\dagger})^{\dagger})^{\dagger} = a^{\dagger} \sigma_-##
but then you just go in circles, I am I missing something?

If [tex]
M =
\begin{bmatrix}
A & B \\
C & D \\
\end{bmatrix},
[/tex]
what is [itex]M^{\dagger}[/itex]?

Fightfish said:
If [tex]
M =
\begin{bmatrix}
A & B \\
C & D \\
\end{bmatrix},
[/tex]
what is [itex]M^{\dagger}[/itex]?
I think the question assumes that I know the matrix elements of ##\sigma_+ ##, for a matrix of dimensions greater than 2*2 , which I don't.

Raptor112 said:
I think the question assumes that I know the matrix elements of ##\sigma_+ ##, for a matrix of dimensions greater than 2*2 , which I don't.
The ##\sigma_+ ## matrix you gave in the OP is 2×2, so there is something I don't understand. Could you give more details about what you are working on?

I am looking at the dynamics between a qubit and an electromagentic field in a cavity. I need to find the expectation value of ##a^{\dagger} \sigma_-## by contracting the density matrix and taking the trace. The dimensions of density matrix, in the project, can vary depending how many levels of the qubit and and how many levels of the cavity is chosen. All I need, is to set up ##a^{\dagger} \sigma_-## and the rest is done.

Last edited:
You already have the matrix elements for [itex]a \sigma_{+}[/itex], which you have recognised to be the Hermitian conjugate of [itex]a^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex].
The "big" matrix you see for [itex]a \sigma_{+}[/itex] is not the matrix element of "[itex]\sigma_{+}[/itex] for more than 2 x 2 dimensions", which you seem to be confused about. The matrix given in the problem is the tensor product of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{+}[/itex].

Likes Raptor112
Fightfish said:
You already have the matrix elements for [itex]a \sigma_{+}[/itex], which you have recognised to be the Hermitian conjugate of [itex]a^{\dagger} \sigma_{-}[/itex].
The "big" matrix you see for [itex]a \sigma_{+}[/itex] is not the matrix element of "[itex]\sigma_{+}[/itex] for more than 2 x 2 dimensions", which you seem to be confused about. The matrix given in the problem is the tensor product of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_{+}[/itex].
That makes sense. Thanks

Fightfish said:

So:
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \sqrt{1} & 0 & 0 & \\
0 & 0 & \sqrt{2} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & \sqrt{3} \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## \otimes## \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 2 & \\ 0 & 0 & \\ \end{bmatrix} =

\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 2 \sqrt{1} & 0& 0 \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 2\sqrt{2} \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \dots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots&\ddots\\
\end{bmatrix}
which is not the same as eqn(5)?

Last edited:
That is because the basis in Eqn (5) was reordered (for some unknown reason)
The direct tensor product you got in your previous post has the basis order [itex]|0,+\rangle, |0,-\rangle,|1,+\rangle,|1,-\rangle \cdots[/itex], while the basis for Eqn (5) has the order [itex]|0,-\rangle, |0,+\rangle,|1,-\rangle,|1,+\rangle \cdots[/itex].
Both are equally valid - as long as you keep proper track of the basis order.

Fightfish said:
That is because the basis in Eqn (5) was reordered (for some unknown reason)
The direct tensor product you got in your previous post has the basis order [itex]|0,+\rangle, |0,-\rangle,|1,+\rangle,|1,-\rangle \cdots[/itex], while the basis for Eqn (5) has the order [itex]|0,-\rangle, |0,+\rangle,|1,-\rangle,|1,+\rangle \cdots[/itex].
Both are equally valid - as long as you keep proper track of the basis order.
So
##a^{\dagger} \sigma_-##=

\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0& 0 &\dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 &\dots \\
0 & 2\sqrt{1}& 0 & 0 & 0 & 0& \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & \dots \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 2\sqrt{2} & 0& 0 &\dots \\
\vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots&\ddots\\
\end{bmatrix}

Yup, that seems correct to me.
It'll probably be worthwhile to spend some time reviewing / learning about tensor product spaces, since you seemed to be confused at some points.

Related to Matrix Representation for Combined Ladder Operators

What is the "Matrix Representation for Combined Ladder Operators"?

The "Matrix Representation for Combined Ladder Operators" is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to represent the action of combined ladder operators on quantum states. It allows for the calculation of the values and probabilities of different quantum states.

What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used to describe the energy levels of quantum systems. They act on quantum states to change their energy levels by a fixed amount.

How are combined ladder operators represented in matrix form?

Combined ladder operators can be represented in matrix form by using the ladder operator algebra to define matrices for each operator. The matrices are then multiplied together to represent the combined action of the ladder operators on a quantum state.

What is the significance of the matrix representation for combined ladder operators?

The matrix representation for combined ladder operators is important because it allows for the calculation of measurable quantities in quantum mechanics, such as energy levels and transition probabilities between different quantum states. It also provides a more efficient and systematic way to solve complex quantum mechanical problems.

Are there any limitations to the matrix representation for combined ladder operators?

While the matrix representation for combined ladder operators is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it does have limitations. It is only applicable to systems with discrete energy levels and cannot be used for continuous systems. It also does not account for interactions between different particles in a system.