Matrix reppresentation of poincare group generators

In summary, the Poincare group generators, specifically the translation parts, can be represented as matrices in a Hilbert space. However, they cannot be written as matrices in the traditional sense and require a non-linear operator to be expressed. The Poincare group can also be interpreted as a group of 5x5 matrices, but this fact is not particularly useful in quantum mechanics. For a more detailed treatment of the irreducible representation of the Poincare group, one can refer to various texts such as Group Theory in Physics by Wu-Ki Tung, Theory of Group Representations and Applications by A. O. Barut and Ryszard Raczka, The Dirac Equation by Bernd Thaller, or Lie Groups
Bobhawke
Does anyone know what a matrix representation of the poincare group generators looks like (specifically the translation parts)? I've been trying to figure this out but I get matrices that are dependent on the group parameters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bobhawke said:
Does anyone know what a matrix representation of the poincare group generators looks like (specifically the translation parts)? I've been trying to figure this out but I get matrices that are dependent on the group parameters.

Is translation by a fixed 4-vector a linear transformation?

No it isnt.

But matrix multiplication is linear. So is the correct conclusion that the translation group operators could be represented as matrices only if we define a funky new way of multiplying matrices together that allows non-linearity?

A translation isn't a linear transformation on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex], but if we're talking about a representation on a Hilbert space, there is of course a linear operator that corresponds to the translation. A translation by a four-vector with components [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is [itex]\exp(-ia_\mu P^\mu)[/itex], where the [itex]P^\mu[/itex] are the momentum operators. These momentum operators can't be written as matrices when we're working with this representation.

Hmm...I just remembered that the Poincaré group can be interpreted as a group of 5x5 matrices. (I read that here). So I guess the generators can be expressed as 5x5 matrices too, but I don't think that fact is very useful in QM.

For a detailed treatment of the irreducible representation of the Poincare group, see Group Theory in Physics by Wu-Ki Tung. For treatments more amenable to mathematicians, see some combination of: Theory of Group Representations and Applications by A. O. Barut and Ryszard Raczka; The Dirac Equation by Bernd Thaller; Lie Groups and Quantum Mechanics by D. J. Simms.

Awesome, thanks for the replies guys.

Translations are generated by momentum matrices, just as rotations are generated by angular momentum matrices (spin matrices). Momentum matrices are arrays of Clebsch Gordon coefficients. For formulas see `A Derivation of Vector and Momentum Matrices', arXiv:math-ph/0401002 .

Related to Matrix reppresentation of poincare group generators

1. What is the Poincare group?

The Poincare group is the mathematical group that describes the symmetries of Minkowski spacetime, which is the geometric space used to describe special relativity. It combines translations, rotations, and boosts (Lorentz transformations) to form a 10-dimensional group.

2. What is a matrix representation of the Poincare group?

A matrix representation of the Poincare group is a way of representing the group's generators (translation, rotation, and boost operators) as matrices. This allows us to use linear algebra techniques to analyze and manipulate the group.

3. How is the Poincare group represented as a matrix?

The Poincare group is represented as a 4x4 matrix, where the first three rows and columns represent the generators for spatial translations, rotations, and boosts, and the fourth row and column represents the generator for time translations. These matrices can be combined to represent any transformation in the Poincare group.

4. What are the advantages of using a matrix representation for the Poincare group?

Using a matrix representation allows us to apply powerful linear algebra techniques to analyze and manipulate the Poincare group. It also allows us to easily combine multiple transformations in the group, making calculations and predictions more efficient.

5. How is the matrix representation of the Poincare group used in physics?

The matrix representation of the Poincare group is used in physics to describe the symmetries of spacetime, specifically in the context of special relativity. It is used to analyze the behavior of particles and systems under transformations in the group, and is essential in the development of theories such as quantum field theory and particle physics.