Matrix multiplication question

In summary, the conversation is about how to multiply two 4X4 matrices using a calculator that only allows for 3X3 matrix multiplication. The speaker is looking for a way to shorten the process and mentions using smaller multiplications that can be done in the calculator. They also suggest using an online calculator as an alternative.
transgalactic
i am given two matrices 4X4

which i need to multiply by one another

but in my calculator i can multiply matrices only 3X3

how can i use this maximum 3X3 matrices multiplication
in order to calculate the multiplication of two 4X4 matrices
??
(i know how to multiply matrices in theory but i want to shorten the process)

my calculator inputs matrices till m<=3 n<=3

i can't multiply 4X4 matrices one by one another
with the help of my calculator.

is there any mathematical methods of solving this without doing the formal way?

using smaller multiplications which could be done in my calculator

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Matrix multiplication question

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation where two matrices are multiplied together to produce a new matrix. It involves multiplying the elements of each row of the first matrix by the corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix, and then summing the products.

2. How do you perform matrix multiplication?

To perform matrix multiplication, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Then, you multiply each element in the first row of the first matrix with the corresponding element in the first column of the second matrix, and add the products together to get the first element of the new matrix. Repeat this process for each element in the resulting row and column until all elements in the new matrix are filled.

3. What is the purpose of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is used to transform data and perform calculations in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Can you multiply matrices of any size?

No, matrix multiplication can only be performed when the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. If this condition is not met, the multiplication cannot be performed.

5. Is matrix multiplication commutative?

No, matrix multiplication is not commutative. This means that the order in which you multiply two matrices matters. In other words, A x B does not necessarily equal B x A.