Matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus

In summary: This is correct, the matrix is related by a coordinate transformation from the z-basis to the x-basis.
damosuz
I am trying to find the matrix representing a modified Stern-Gerlach apparatus (as proposed in the Feynman lectures) with its magnetic field in the z direction and a filter that blocks spin 1/2 atoms that are in the |-z> state (thus I'll call the apparatus a SG+z apparatus). I want to use |+x> and |-x> as base states.

For an atom in the |+y> = 0,707|+x> + 0,707|-x> state entering the SG+z apparatus to exit in the |+z> = 0,707|+x> + 0,707 i |-x> state, the apparatus would have to correspond to the matrix $$\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ i & 0 \end{array} \right)$$.

The same matrix will transform the states |-y> = 0,707|+x> - 0,707|-x>, |+z>, |-z> = 0,707|+x> - 0,707 i |-x> and |+x> into the state |+z> as required, but it doesn't work for the state |-x> (it gives 0!). Am I trying to do something that is impossible or incorrect here?

I am aware my question might need some clarification, which I will be happy to provide.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
damosuz said:
I am trying to find the matrix representing a modified Stern-Gerlach apparatus (as proposed in the Feynman lectures) with its magnetic field in the z direction and a filter that blocks spin 1/2 atoms that are in the |-z> state (thus I'll call the apparatus a SG+z apparatus).
If your apparatus transmits +z and blocks -z the matrix is determined by A|+z> = |+z> and A|-z> = 0. So in the z-basis it reads
$$\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right)$$
Note that an initially normalized superposition state won't be normalized anymore after applying the matrix. This is because the coefficients represent the probability to get the corresponding final state.

I don't think you can get a matrix which is independent of the initial state and gets you a normalized final state, since you are describing wave function collapse, which is non-unitary. The matrix should project onto |+z>, so it should represent the operator |+z><+z| = |+x><+x| - i|+x><-x| + i|+x><-x| + |-x><-x|, which will have a matrix representation in the x-basis $$\left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & -i \\ i & 1 \end{array} \right)$$

Thank you! It made me realize I had made a mistake in my post when I wrote that the SG+z apparatus could transform state |-z> into state |+z>. The matrix you propose atyy gives the null state when applied to state |-z>, as required.

I don't know whether my matrix is exactly right, but I'm sure kith's is (because the answer is obvious in the z-basis), so one way to check it is to check that his answer and my proposal are related by a coordinate transformation from the z-basis to the x-basis.

Related to Matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus

1. What is a Stern-Gerlach apparatus?

A Stern-Gerlach apparatus is a scientific instrument used to study the magnetic properties of particles, specifically their magnetic moments. It consists of a magnet with a gradient in its field, which causes particles to split into different beams based on their magnetic orientation.

2. How does a Stern-Gerlach apparatus work?

The apparatus works by passing a beam of particles, typically atoms or electrons, through the magnet's gradient. The particles will be deflected based on their magnetic orientation, with those aligned with the gradient being deflected less than those with opposite orientation. This produces distinct beams that can be studied to understand the magnetic properties of the particles.

3. What is the significance of the matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus?

The matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus is a mathematical representation of the apparatus and its effect on the particles passing through it. It helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of particles in the apparatus, and is an important tool in studying their magnetic properties.

4. How is the matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus calculated?

The matrix is calculated using quantum mechanics principles, specifically the principles of spin and angular momentum. It takes into account the orientation of the magnet's field gradient and the spin of the particles passing through it to determine the deflection of the beams and the overall effect of the apparatus on the particles.

5. Can the matrix for a Stern-Gerlach apparatus be used for other types of particles?

Yes, the matrix can be applied to any type of particle with a magnetic moment, such as protons, neutrons, and other subatomic particles. It can also be used for particles with other intrinsic properties, such as electric charge, to study their behavior in electromagnetic fields.