Matrix Exponential and series idenfication

In summary: I just need to remember what the rule is.Well, then you know more than I do about matrix exponentials! I hope you find a do-able method for your problem.
Dustinsfl
Let
\[
\mathbf{A} =
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1\\
-4 & -5 & -4
\end{bmatrix}
\]
Then I want to find \(e^{\mathbf{A}t}\).
\[
\mathbf{I} + \mathbf{A}t +\frac{\mathbf{A}^2t^2}{2!} + \frac{\mathbf{A}^3t^3}{3!} + \cdots
\]
I have up to the 6th term but I can't identify the series.
\[
\begin{bmatrix}
1 - \frac{2t^3}{3} + \frac{2t^4}{3} - \frac{11t^5}{30} + \frac{7t^6}{45} &
t - \frac{5t^3}{6} + \frac{2t^4}{3} - \frac{13t^5}{40} + \frac{2t^6}{15} &
\frac{t^2}{2} - \frac{2t^3}{3} + \frac{11t^4}{24} - \frac{7t^5}{30} + \frac{73t^6}{720}\\
-2t^2 + \frac{8t^3}{3} - \frac{11t^4}{6} + \frac{14t^5}{15} - \frac{73t^6}{180} &
1 - \frac{5t^2}{2} + \frac{8t^3}{3} - \frac{13t^4}{8} + \frac{4t^5}{5} - \frac{253t^6}{720} &
-\frac{49 t^6}{180} + \frac{73 t^5}{120} - \frac{7 t^4}{6} + \frac{11 t^3}{6} - 2t^2 + t\\
\frac{49 t^6}{45} - \frac{73 t^5}{30} + \frac{14 t^4}{3} - \frac{22 t^3}{3} + 8t^2 - 4t &
\frac{43 t^6}{45} - \frac{253 t^5}{120} + 4t^4 - \frac{13 t^3}{2} + 8t^2 - 5t &
\frac{59 t^6}{80} - \frac{49 t^5}{30} + \frac{73 t^4}{24} - \frac{14t^3}{3} + \frac{11 t^2}{2} - 4t + 1
\end{bmatrix}
\]

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle you can diagonalise $A$, $A = U^*DU$, where $U$ is unitary and $D$ is diagonal (with the eigenvalues of $A$ as its diagonal elements). Then $e^{At} = U^*D^{At}U$, and you can easily evaluate $D^{At}$ by taking the exponentials of the eigenvalues. Unfortunately in this case the eigenvalues are irrational (and two of them are complex). Maybe you can use some numerical method to get an approximate diagonalisation?

Opalg said:
In principle you can diagonalise $A$, $A = U^*DU$, where $U$ is unitary and $D$ is diagonal (with the eigenvalues of $A$ as its diagonal elements). Then $e^{At} = U^*D^{At}U$, and you can easily evaluate $D^{At}$ by taking the exponentials of the eigenvalues. Unfortunately in this case the eigenvalues are irrational (and two of them are complex). Maybe you can use some numerical method to get an approximate diagonalisation?

I tried that method first that is why I moved on to this form.

I can't pretend to be an expert, but http://www.cs.cornell.edu/cv/researchpdf/19ways+.pdf outlining 19 "dubious" ways to compute a matrix exponential. Use at your own risk!

Ackbach said:
I can't pretend to be an expert, but http://www.cs.cornell.edu/cv/researchpdf/19ways+.pdf outlining 19 "dubious" ways to compute a matrix exponential. Use at your own risk!

I have read that plus the numerous other links that come up from Googling the topic.

dwsmith said:
I have read that plus the numerous other links that come up from Googling the topic.

Well, then you know more than I do about matrix exponentials! I hope you find a do-able method for your problem. The command

Code:
N[MatrixExp[{{0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 1}, {-4, -5, -4}}t]] // MatrixForm

gives a result in Mathematica. It's pretty long and ugly - I don't know how exact a solution you need.

Found the problem, I should have had a -6 not -5 and everything works.

Related to Matrix Exponential and series idenfication

1. What is the Matrix Exponential?

The Matrix Exponential is a mathematical operation that transforms a square matrix into another matrix through exponentiation. It is denoted by e raised to the power of the matrix and is used to solve systems of linear differential equations.

2. How is the Matrix Exponential calculated?

The Matrix Exponential is calculated by first finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the given matrix. Then, the matrix is diagonalized using the eigenvectors. Finally, the diagonalized matrix is exponentiated, and the resulting matrix is transformed back to its original form using the inverse of the eigenvector matrix.

3. What is the significance of the Matrix Exponential in mathematics?

The Matrix Exponential has many applications in mathematics, particularly in differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in areas such as signal processing, control theory, and data compression.

4. What is the difference between Matrix Exponential and Matrix Series Identification?

The Matrix Exponential is a mathematical operation that transforms a single matrix, whereas Matrix Series Identification involves finding the sum of an infinite series of matrices. Matrix Series Identification is useful in solving systems of differential equations with non-constant coefficients.

5. How is Matrix Exponential and Series Identification used in real-life applications?

The Matrix Exponential and Series Identification are used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as modeling physical systems, analyzing financial data, and predicting population growth. They are also used in engineering and physics to solve complex problems involving differential equations.