A way for a stars observation

In summary: Marcus and Warren. In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to observe the stars near Earth and is considering building an observatory or buying a telescope. However, they are not familiar with how to do so and are seeking instructions and assistance from others, specifically Warren and Marcus, who have knowledge about astronomy. They are located in Michigan and will look into joining an astronomy club or connecting with others in their community who have telescopes.
Pattielli
First of all, i don't know how to say it in English the place I can keep my eyes on some stars high above. There is no such a place near where I am staying. Therefore, I think it will be really good if i can make myself a small -what are youmaycallit-to observe the stars that are nearest to our Earth...But I unluckily don't have any clue on how to make one ? Do you have any instructions for me to make a start ?
I really appreaciate any help from all of you,

Thank you very much,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Observatory? A building with a telescope?

Thank you,
yes, that is what i would like to express...

Do you know how to make a simple one to look up some stars ?

You don't really need to build an observatory to look at the stars. You can buy a nice portable telescope that will be much more user-friendly for getting started in the hobby.

I suggest you first seek out astronomy clubs in your area, and try to meet other people who can show you how to do things.

- Warren

No in my area, I don't think astronomy works around.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion,
I will go look for a telescope tommorow...:sm:

Pattielli said:
No in my area, I don't think astronomy works around.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion,
I will go look for a telescope tommorow...:sm:

please tell us your latitude
how many degrees north or south
of equator

also do you have clear dark nights
(where i live it is often cloudy and the lights from
the big city reflect off the clouds so that the sky is usually
not completely dark)

what interesting stars you can see depends somewhat
on latitude

if you are south of the equator then you can see, for example,
the star closest to us: alpha centauri

also the clouds of magellan (small nearby galaxies) are very nice
and only visible if one is far enough to the south

I amnot in the south, but more of the North instead, around Michigan, I guess
Summer is coming near and i think i will be able to see the clear sky then.

Marcus, would you please tell me how you know so much about stars names ?
Thank marcus alot,

for someone living in Michigan, Warren's advice is likely to be the most helpful. there are astronomy clubs all over the USA
I don't know the website that would tell the one nearest any particular location
but maybe Warren or one of the other mentors knows

also a local college or junior college might help

hooking up with other people in one's own community that have telescopes and do stargazing is a really good idea

chroot said:
You don't really need to build an observatory to look at the stars. You can buy a nice portable telescope that will be much more user-friendly for getting started in the hobby.

I suggest you first seek out astronomy clubs in your area, and try to meet other people who can show you how to do things.

- Warren

Thank you very much for your instructions,

1. How is a star's observation conducted?

A star's observation is conducted by using a telescope to gather light from the star and then analyzing that light with various instruments. This can include measuring the star's brightness, color, and spectral lines.

2. What can be learned from observing stars?

Through observing stars, scientists can learn about the star's physical properties such as size, temperature, and composition. They can also study the star's life cycle, its impact on its surrounding environment, and its role in the larger universe.

3. How do scientists determine the distance of a star through observation?

Scientists use a method called parallax to determine the distance of a star through observation. This involves measuring the apparent shift in the star's position as the Earth orbits around the Sun.

4. Can stars be observed during the day?

Yes, stars can be observed during the day. However, their faint light is often overwhelmed by the brightness of the Sun, making them difficult to see. This is why most star observations are conducted at night.

5. How does the type of telescope affect star observation?

The type of telescope used can greatly affect star observation. For example, a reflecting telescope is better for observing faint stars, while a refracting telescope is better for observing bright stars. Additionally, the size and quality of the telescope's optics can also impact the quality of the observation.