Matrix algebra - matrix equation

In summary, matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with matrices and their operations. A matrix equation is an equation involving matrices and is written in the form of Ax = b. It is used in various real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and computer science. The basic operations in matrix algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Matrices have properties such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity, and can be transposed, inverted, and multiplied by a scalar value.
Bitter
A=(5, 4) I (1, 0)
(4,6) (0,1)

Those are matrix by the way.

How do I show A^2=11A-18I? I know I'm overlooking something, but i don't know what. Any tips would be helpful

Physics news on Phys.org
ah I am sorry, I meant to put this in the question section, please move!

Do you know how to multiply matrices? You may want to look at this link: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/mtrxmult.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you this.

Let x=3. How do you show that x^2=2x+3?

Related to Matrix algebra - matrix equation

1. What is matrix algebra?

Matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers or variables. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of matrices to solve various mathematical problems.

2. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation in which one or more matrices are involved. It is written in the form of Ax = b, where A is a matrix, x is a column vector, and b is a constant vector. The goal is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation.

3. How is matrix algebra used in real-life applications?

Matrix algebra is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze data, and perform transformations in computer graphics. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

4. What are the basic operations in matrix algebra?

The basic operations in matrix algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are performed by adding or subtracting the corresponding elements of two matrices. Multiplication is done by multiplying the rows of the first matrix with the columns of the second matrix and summing up the products. Division is done by finding the inverse of a matrix and multiplying it with another matrix.

5. What are some properties of matrix algebra?

Some properties of matrix algebra include the commutative property of addition and multiplication, the associative property of multiplication, and the distributive property. Matrices also have an identity element, which is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere. In addition, matrices can be transposed, inverted, and multiplied by a scalar value.