Matrix Algebra 2.0 Help: Solving Questions with Cosine Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses how to rotate a point in polar coordinates through a counter-clockwise angle and whether it is possible to reflect across one of the axes. The suggestion is to rotate the line of reflection to an axis, reflect, and then rotate back.
saifh
Hey guys,

So I'm stuck on another question from the previous one that I posted and would absolutely love it if I can get some help regarding how to attempt this. I literally have no clue at how to go by solving it. I have a feeling for question one that the cosine laws might come in handy but I'm not sure..

View attachment 4833

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2003_2.JPG
    2003_2.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 42
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take part (i). You have a point, which we'll write in polar coordinates as
$$\mathbf{x}=r\begin{bmatrix} \cos(\varphi) \\ \sin(\varphi)\end{bmatrix}.$$
As the problem states, we need to rotate this point through a counter-clockwise angle $\theta$ so as to get the point
$$\mathbf{x}'=r\begin{bmatrix} \cos(\varphi+\theta) \\ \sin(\varphi+\theta)\end{bmatrix}.$$
Does this second expression suggest anything to you?

Ackbach said:
Let's take part (i). You have a point, which we'll write in polar coordinates as
$$\mathbf{x}=r\begin{bmatrix} \cos(\varphi) \\ \sin(\varphi)\end{bmatrix}.$$
As the problem states, we need to rotate this point through a counter-clockwise angle $\theta$ so as to get the point
$$\mathbf{x}'=r\begin{bmatrix} \cos(\varphi+\theta) \\ \sin(\varphi+\theta)\end{bmatrix}.$$
Does this second expression suggest anything to you?

Ahh ok thanks, I will work off that. That does make more sense thanks.

It's so much easier to reflect across one of the axes...hmm, I wonder...could we rotate our line of reflection to an axis, reflect, and rotate back-does that even work?

Related to Matrix Algebra 2.0 Help: Solving Questions with Cosine Laws

What is Matrix Algebra 2.0?

Matrix Algebra 2.0 is a mathematical software program that helps users solve questions involving matrix algebra, such as using cosine laws.

What are cosine laws?

Cosine laws are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle.

How does Matrix Algebra 2.0 help with solving questions involving cosine laws?

Matrix Algebra 2.0 has built-in functions and algorithms that can quickly and accurately solve complex equations involving cosine laws. It can also provide step-by-step solutions and visual representations to help users understand the process.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to use Matrix Algebra 2.0?

While a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is helpful, Matrix Algebra 2.0 is designed to be user-friendly and does not require advanced mathematical knowledge. It can be used by students, teachers, and professionals alike.

Can Matrix Algebra 2.0 be used for other types of equations besides cosine laws?

Yes, Matrix Algebra 2.0 has a wide range of functions and can be used to solve various types of equations, including linear equations, systems of equations, and quadratic equations.