Do Wave Functions in Different Positions Form an Orthonormal Set?

In summary, the wave function of a particle located at a certain position x0 can be represented by the Dirac delta function δ(x-x0). Additionally, the wave function in momentum space is the Fourier transform: the constant function. If you know the position exactly, then you have no information about the momentum. However, if you know the wave function Φx0(p') in momentum space, then you can use the Fourier transform to calculate the momentum of the particle. However, to calculate the wave function Ψx0(x') in coordinate space, you must first know the position Ψx0(x').
einai
Quantum question again...

What's the wave function in coordinate space Ψx0(x') of a particle (in 1-D) located at a certain position x0? What about the wave function Φx0(p') in momentum space? Now, consider the totality of these wave functions for different values of x0. Do they form an orthonormal set?

The only thing I know is that if I know Ψx0(x'), I can Fourier transform it to Φx0(p')? But what's Ψx0(x')?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function of a particle AT a specific x0 is the Dirac delta function δ(x-x0). Of course, the wave function in momentum space is the Fourier transform: the constant function. If you know the position exactly, then you have no information at all about the momentum.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
The wave function of a particle AT a specific x0 is the Dirac delta function δ(x-x0). Of course, the wave function in momentum space is the Fourier transform: the constant function. If you know the position exactly, then you have no information at all about the momentum.

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. :smile: However, I'm not sure whether I understand this part of the question -

Now, consider the totality of these wave functions for different values of x0. Do they form an orthonormal set?

Does it mean whether all the delta functions at different x0 are orthogonal or not?

What does "orthogonal" mean for these functions?

(The delta function is not a true function. It is a "generalized function" or "distribution". But, the same concepts apply.)

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
What does "orthogonal" mean for these functions?

(The delta function is not a true function. It is a "generalized function" or "distribution". But, the same concepts apply.)

I think it means if they're the same function, the product should be integrated to one, otherwise it's zero?

Hm...I multiplied 2 wavefunction and integrate them. It gave me another delta function.

einai,
I think the trick is that you use substitution.
You got
&int &delta (x-x0) &delta (x-x1) dx.
Now, let y = x-x0.
Then, dx = dy, and
&delta (x-x0) = &delta (y), and
&delta (x-x1) = &delta (y+x0-x1).
So,
&int &delta (x-x0) &delta (x-x1) dx
=
&int &delta (y) &delta(y+x0-x1) dy
=
&delta (x0-x1).
You probably already got that, and it's the orthogonality relation that you want.

Last edited:
How can I make these math symbols show?

Originally posted by arcnets
How can I make these math symbols show?

You need to put ; after &delta :D.

And thanks for answering my question. I did get the same thing, but I wasn't sure whether that implies orthonormality. Now I know, since I got the solution from the prof. It does imply orthonormality, and I got it right! :)

You need to put ; after &delta :D.

Just testing...
∫ δ (x-x0) δ (x-x1) dx = ?
Now, let y = x-x0.
Then, dx = dy, and
δ (x-x0) = δ (y), and
δ (x-x1) = δ (y+x0-x1).
So, ∫ δ (x-x0) δ (x-x1) dx
= ∫ δ (y) δ (y+x0-x1) dy
= δ (x0-x1).

Fine! Learned something!

Last edited:
Originally posted by arcnets
Just testing...
∫ δ (x-x0) δ (x-x1) dx = ?
Now, let y = x-x0.
Then, dx = dy, and
δ (x-x0) = δ (y), and
δ (x-x1) = δ (y+x0-x1).
So, ∫ δ (x-x0) δ (x-x1) dx
= ∫ δ (y) δ (y+x0-x1) dy
= δ (x0-x1).

Fine! Learned something!

Looks much better :)!

I didn't use substitution. I just treated
∫δ (x-x0) δ (x-x1) dx
as ∫f(x) δ(x-x1) dx

so when I integrate it, it gives f(x) -> f(x1) = δ (x0-x1).

I'm not sure whether this is a correct method, although it does give me the answer :D.

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the particle's position, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. How is the wavefunction related to the behavior of a particle?

The wavefunction is related to the behavior of a particle through the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wavefunction changes over time. The wavefunction also determines the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or state.

3. Can a wavefunction be observed directly?

No, a wavefunction cannot be observed directly. It is a mathematical concept that describes the quantum state of a particle, but it cannot be directly measured or observed.

4. How is the wavefunction affected by measurement?

When a measurement is made on a particle, the wavefunction collapses to a single state. This means that the particle's properties become definite and the wavefunction is no longer a superposition of multiple states.

5. Can the wavefunction of a particle be manipulated?

Yes, the wavefunction of a particle can be manipulated through external forces, such as electromagnetic fields or interactions with other particles. This can cause the wavefunction to change over time, affecting the behavior of the particle.