Matrices:- Range and null space

In summary, the problem is that the student couldn't find the equation of a line that when substituted in the equation of the plane gives them (8 7 -9).
Faiq

Homework Statement

Question is uploaded
I have completed till part iii and obtained correct answers
i. 2
ii. Basis for R:- { ( 2 3 -1 ) , (1 4 2 ) }
Cartesian equation; 2x-y+z=0
iii. Basis for Null:- { ( -3 2 0 1 ) , (2 -3 1 0 ) }

2. The attempt at a solution
I have problem in last part. I have calculated the value of k to be -9 but I can't proceed further.
I have two major queries.

1. I understand the main concept is to use a particular solution and then add some "gradient" to get an equation which will generate solutions. However why do we use the range space to calculate the particular solution?

2. Why is the general equation of the form
x = particular solution + a(1st Basis for Null vector) +b (2nd basis of null vector ) + ( in this case nothing)...
Or more precisely why are the basis of null vector used as "gradients"?

I am pre-uni student so I will be very delighted if the answers doesn't contain very complicated language.

Attachments

• Matrices.jpg
    Matrices.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,691
Physics news on Phys.org
Faiq said:

Homework Statement

Question is uploaded
I have completed till part iii and obtained correct answers
i. 2
ii. Basis for R:- { ( 2 3 -1 ) , (1 4 2 ) }
Cartesian equation; 2x-y+z=0
iii. Basis for Null:- { ( -3 2 0 1 ) , (2 -3 1 0 ) }

2. The attempt at a solution
I have problem in last part. I have calculated the value of k to be -9 but I can't proceed further.
I have two major queries.

1. I understand the main concept is to use a particular solution and then add some "gradient" to get an equation which will generate solutions. However why do we use the range space to calculate the particular solution?

The range space is everything you can possibly get; therefore [itex]b[/itex] must be in the range if there exists a [itex]v[/itex] such that [itex]Mv = b[/itex].

Here, not every vector in [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex] is in the range; this limits the value of [itex]k[/itex]. Geometrically [itex](8, 7, k)[/itex] is a line parallel to the z-axis which doesn't pass through the origin, and R is a plane containing the origin which is not parallel to the z-axis; these must therefore intersect at a unique point.

2. Why is the general equation of the form
x = particular solution + a(1st Basis for Null vector) +b (2nd basis of null vector ) + ( in this case nothing)...
Or more precisely why are the basis of null vector used as "gradients"?

By definition, if [itex]u \in \ker M[/itex] then [itex]Mu = 0[/itex]. Thus if [itex]v[/itex] is such that [itex]Mv = b[/itex] then [itex]M(v + u) = Mv = b[/itex].

Oh so technically we are just finding the coordinates of the intersection and then finding the value of k. After obtaining the matrix, we treat it as a position vector and then find the equation of a line which when substituted in the equation of plane gives us (8 7 -9).
I don't know whether my phrasing makes sense but the algebra in the last part of your answer made it all clear

Related to Matrices:- Range and null space

What are matrices?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, computer science, and other fields to organize and manipulate data.

What is the range of a matrix?

The range of a matrix is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained by multiplying the matrix by a vector. In other words, it is the span of the columns of the matrix.

What is the null space of a matrix?

The null space of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in the zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the homogeneous equation Ax=0, where A is the matrix.

How do you find the range of a matrix?

To find the range of a matrix, you can perform row operations on the matrix to reduce it to its reduced row echelon form. The columns of the original matrix that correspond to the pivot columns in the reduced row echelon form will form a basis for the range of the matrix.

How do you find the null space of a matrix?

To find the null space of a matrix, you can perform row operations on the matrix to reduce it to its reduced row echelon form. The columns of the original matrix that do not correspond to the pivot columns in the reduced row echelon form will form a basis for the null space of the matrix.