Matrice Multiplication, can someone check my work?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a 3x2 multiplying a 2x2 matrix, but got incorrect answers. He realized he made a mistake and posted another thread to ask for help.
Deagonx

Homework Statement

Its a 3x2 multiplying a 2x2. (3 down 2 across, 3x2) I was gone for the day that my teacher explained it to us, and I am not sure how to do it. I tried, but I want to be sure.

Homework Equations

5 2
0 -4 _X_ 3 7
1 6 ___ -2 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I got was
18 42
-8 0

Can one of you intellectuals tell me if I got the right answer?

EDIT: I realized I didn't actually tell you what I did. I took the first column of numbers in the first matrix (5, 0, 1), and added together the products of it and the first number in the first column (3). I took the 3 numbers from the second column (2, -4, 6) and added the products of them and the first number in the second column (7). I repeated that with the -2 and the 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not multiplying the matrices correctly. Here is what you should do:

[itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a & b\\
c & d\\
e & f
\end{array}
\right) \cdot
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
g & h\\
i & j\\
\end{array}
\right) =
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
ag + bi & ah + bj\\
cg + di & ch + dj\\
eg + fi & eh + fj
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]

You have a 3x2 (rows x columns) multiplied by a 2x2 matrix. When multiplying, the "inside" two numbers cancel out and the resulting matrix is the dimensions of the outside numbers. So, for example, a 4x3 matrix multiplied by a 3x1 matrix would yield a 4x1 matrix. The inside numbers MUST match, otherwise it's not valid to multiply them.

Try to redo your problem and see what you come up with!

This time I got
11 35
8 0
-9 7

Is that right?

The singular of the (plural) word matrices, is the word matrix.

That answer looks good! And what Sammy posted is also correct, I didn't catch that any of the times I glanced at the subject.

SammyS said:
The singular of the (plural) word matrices, is the word matrix.

And matrice is not a word. Those Romans with their Latin language and weird plurals are to blame. Some other Latin-derived words with the same pluralization rules are appendix, aviatrix (female aviator), and circatrix (scar tissue).

Well, linguistic debates aside, I checked in the back of the book in the selected answers, and it seems I got it right. Thanks for the help, but I have another problem so I posted another thread.

Related to Matrice Multiplication, can someone check my work?

1. What is Matrice Multiplication?

Matrice multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices together to produce a new matrix as a result.

2. How is Matrice Multiplication performed?

Matrice multiplication is performed by multiplying each element in a row of the first matrix with each element in a column of the second matrix, and then adding the products together to get the corresponding element in the resulting matrix.

3. Can you provide an example of Matrice Multiplication?

Let's say we have two matrices, A = [1 2; 3 4] and B = [5 6; 7 8]. To multiply these two matrices, we would multiply the first row of A with the first column of B, which would give us the first element of the resulting matrix. So, 1*5 + 2*7 = 19. We would continue this process for each element in the resulting matrix.

4. What are the rules for Matrice Multiplication?

Matrice multiplication follows the following rules: The number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. Matrices must be multiplied in the order of (A*B*C) to get the same result as (A*(B*C)).

5. What is the significance of Matrice Multiplication in science?

Matrice multiplication is used in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to solve complex mathematical problems and model real-world systems. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to process large datasets and make predictions.