MATLAB used in 1st year Engineering?

In summary, it is common for freshman students in engineering to use MATLAB, but it may vary by school. Some schools may require knowledge of MATLAB, while others may not introduce it until later years. It is recommended to ask a professor in the relevant program for more information. Learning either MATLAB or scilab would be fine, as they are similar and the actual programming aspect of MATLAB is relatively easy. However, a background in relevant mathematics, such as linear algebra, is necessary to fully grasp MATLAB.
hotvette
Homework Helper
It is common for freshman students in engineering to use MATLAB?

My son will be a freshman (Bio Engineering) in August and I'm tempted to encourage him to learn Octave or Scilab during the summer. He's in a Java class right now, so has some programming basics already. If he really won't need it until his 2nd year, I'll wait a year.

Physics news on Phys.org
It most likely varies by school. My school used Matlab extensively in our EE department. I would recommend asking a professor in your sons program.

Likes 1 person
Like donpacino said, it depends on your school - mine didn't require a knowledge of MATLAB as a freshman, but if you didn't have it, you're off to a bad start. Also, I feel as though him learning *either* MATLAB or scilab would be fine, as they are rather similar from what I gather, so switching from one to the other wouldn't require too much "learning".

Likes 1 person
Although you can't actually "learn" Matlab unless you have some background the the relevant fields of mathematics; if you e.g. don't know what a matrix is you are not going to get far (and the syntax will be extremely confusing).

The actual "programming" in Matlab is almost trivial and if your son is already familiar with Java he will be fine. Matlab is often (but not always) introduced as part of a math course (e.g. linear algebra) or even as part of a course in numerical methods; which makes more sense that doing it on its own.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the comments.

Related to MATLAB used in 1st year Engineering?

1. What is MATLAB and why is it used in 1st year Engineering?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment that is commonly used in engineering to perform complex mathematical computations and data analysis. It is used in 1st year Engineering to introduce students to the fundamentals of programming and to help them understand and solve engineering problems using a computer.

2. Do I need prior programming experience to use MATLAB in 1st year Engineering?

No, prior programming experience is not required to use MATLAB in 1st year Engineering. The software has a user-friendly interface and is designed for beginners. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts can be helpful in learning MATLAB more quickly.

3. Can I use MATLAB for all types of engineering tasks?

While MATLAB is a powerful tool for performing mathematical computations and data analysis, it may not be suitable for all types of engineering tasks. It is primarily used for numerical analysis and simulations, and may not be the best choice for tasks involving graphics or user interfaces.

4. Is MATLAB used in other fields besides engineering?

Yes, MATLAB is used in a wide range of fields, including finance, science, and data analytics. Its versatility and powerful computational capabilities make it a popular choice for various applications beyond engineering.

5. Can I access MATLAB for free as a 1st year Engineering student?

Many universities offer students access to MATLAB through campus licenses, so it is best to check with your institution's IT department. Alternatively, students can purchase a student license at a discounted price or use the free online version of MATLAB called MATLAB Online.