MATLAB Simulink: Incomplete plot in scope

Summary: In summary, the Scope graph in Simulink may be incomplete after running a model, with the initial portion missing and only the final portion remaining. This issue is more common with high frequency signals or complex systems. The problem may be due to a limitation on the number of data points the Scope can display, but this can be adjusted in the scope parameters by unchecking the option to limit data points or increasing the limit.
sns
Often, after running a model in Simulink, the graph displayed in Scope is incomplete.. ie the initial portion of the graph is missing and only a part of the final portion remains.

If I open the scope window as soon as the model starts running then I can see the graph being plotted but after a few s the initially plotted curve starts disappearing. Finally as the simulation ends, whatever was in the scope window lastly remains.

The problem occurs only with signals of very high frequencies or complex systems. It doesn't occur with simple models. Is it some problem with the solvers? Is there some kind of memory limit on how much scope can display? pls help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

by default the number of data points to be stored in a scope block is limited (for me it was 5000, I don't know if that is a standard value). If a simulation produces more data points, only the last 5000 can be displayed.
To be able to display all data, hit the scope parameters button, go to the history pane and uncheck the point "Limit data points to last" or edit a higher value.

Kind regards,

jhin

Related to MATLAB Simulink: Incomplete plot in scope

What is MATLAB Simulink?

MATLAB Simulink is a software tool used for modeling and simulating dynamic systems. It allows users to create block diagrams that represent the physical components of a system, and then simulate the behavior of the system over time.

What is a scope in MATLAB Simulink?

A scope in MATLAB Simulink is a visualization tool used to display the output of a simulation. It can show signals and variables from the model in the form of plots, allowing users to analyze the behavior of the system.

Why is my scope showing an incomplete plot?

There are a few possible reasons why your scope may be showing an incomplete plot. It could be due to incorrect settings or insufficient simulation time. It could also be caused by signal clipping or incorrect input values. It is important to check all of these factors to determine the cause of the incomplete plot.

How can I troubleshoot an incomplete plot in scope?

To troubleshoot an incomplete plot in scope, you can try changing the simulation settings, adjusting the input values, or changing the time scale. You can also check for any errors or warnings in the simulation log, and make sure all the necessary components are connected properly in the model.

Can I save the plot from a scope in MATLAB Simulink?

Yes, you can save the plot from a scope in MATLAB Simulink by right-clicking on the plot and selecting the "Export" option. This will allow you to save the plot as an image file or copy it to the clipboard for use in other applications.